Socket Naginata At Bargain Price

bigjohnshea

Fellow collectors,
Hope you are all well.

Need to raise some money for a few books I want to acquire, so need to move this blade into another collection.

Edit: Removed the link. Please see photos and info below. 

Will accept SOLD for it with US domestic shipping covered by me, international shipping we can negotiate some.

Basically trying to force the sale here so it’s a great opportunity for someone to acquire a rare type of polearm.

Cheers!
John A. Shea, MD

I'm going to bypass the site for now until I can get the image viewer fixed. 

Here is additional info and photos!

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------

A rarely seen Koto era naginata-no-saki!

This is a Naginata-no-saki (socket naginata) which is attributed by NBTHK Kicho token (papered in 1972) to an unspecified school in Chikushi district, currently in Fukuoka Prefecture. The old Kicho papers do not always give good information, and in this case it does not even give an attribution to a school. However it does verify authenticity, and states “Chikushi-naginata, unsigned”. 

Since I began collecting I have seen many naginata and many naginata-naoshi on the market. Naginata-no-saki however are, and will always be rare to find. This is a nice example of the sort, and if you are a pole-arm collector this is a good opportunity. It might be one of the few you ever see for sale. 

This is an attractive blade with very visible features of the steel, but I think it would benefit from a shiage (clean up by a trained polisher) if you were to submit it to NBTHK shinsa. I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t potentially paper to Tokubetsu Hozon depending on how old the Hozon judgement places it. After a certain date they require a signature to get Tokubetsu Hozon. While the paper does not specify this, it is certainly a koto era blade given the combination of the thick, dark patina, and the stamped hole (mekugi-ana) in the nakago. 

Additional Details:

Nagasa: 42.1cm (16.6”)

Sori: 2.2cm, sakizori

Motohaba: 3.1cm

Motokasane: 0.9cm

Nakagonaga: 10.5cm

Hada: Itame

Hamone: ko-notare

Boshi: Togari with kaeri

Fllaws: Scattered and small openings. One more prominent opening in the area of the kissaki forming what is referred to as a “crows beak”. See the last photo for details. Nothing to prevent passing shinsa.

post-2184-0-46054200-1528280898_thumb.png

post-2184-0-44756900-1528280911_thumb.png

post-2184-0-06934400-1528280922_thumb.png

post-2184-0-26572900-1528280963_thumb.png

post-2184-0-27903600-1528280993_thumb.png

• Like 2

Thank you for the compliment. :-)

From above:

This is a Naginata-no-saki (socket naginata) which is attributed by NBTHK Kicho token (papered in 1972) to an unspecified school in Chikushi district, currently in Fukuoka Prefecture. The old Kicho papers do not always give good information, and in this case it does not even give an attribution to a school. However it does verify authenticity, and states “Chikushi-naginata, unsigned”.

When I look at the flaw in the kissaki with a backlit optical loupe it does not appear as a crack. I can see steel in the space between it. Also, it does not go through to the other side of the blade at all. This would not qualify as a hagire primarily for that second reason.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..