Star Stamped Tsutsui Kiyokane Blade

Thanks for the explanation Bruce, I didn't realize the Rinji was designed for the lower mekugi ana to use a threaded screw. I owned a Type 3 for several years which used wooden mekugi pegs, and am rather stunned I hadn't noticed lower threaded type before.

Thanks again,

Dave M.

Dave,

I'll have to say that, knowing the multitude of variations in WWII gunto, there very well may be some Rinji that were built from the beginning with two mekugi. Even with one in hand, there would be no way to know without removing the ito and same' to see if the wood was notched for a metal plate.

• Like 2

Dave,

Actually, the "type 3" or Contingency model (Rinji-seishiki), was designed with the lower ana being filled with a screw. They have a thin metal plate on the other side for the screw to attach to. The upper ana takes a mekugi. I'd say 80% of these are lost through time, so people replace them with mekugi. I usually see them for sale with a mekugi in the lower ana and the upper ana empty (likely because someone has removed the upper one to replace the missing screw.

Here is one with the ito and same' gone, showing the square where the metal plate fits (missing on this one. A Bubba had put a bolt and nut in it, along with naugahayde for handle wrap!)

Hey Bruce...when exactly is snipe season in Colorado...maybe I can join you for a hunt one day!!   :)

Dave M.

My apologies Bruce, I just thought you were kidding me about the huge flat head screw that Bubba Maximus placed in you nice Rinji.

Were the threaded Rinji's mainly because the tsuka were not the two mekugi ana type??

Ohh, also, the last known snipe in Idaho was taken in 1953 by Oliver Thurdgaster. By 1953 the snipe had become sooo rare, they were only allowed to be taken by sling shot using a large flat head screw affixed to a square nut... Ok...I'll stop..

As always, your contributions to the NMB are very much appreciated!

Dave M.

I am a bit confused, is the lower mekugi ana the one closer to the nakago giri or the tsuba? Are not all references to upper/lower made with the blade up as one would hold it if reading the signiture?

Thanx for the clarification.

I am a bit confused, is the lower mekugi ana the one closer to the nakago giri or the tsuba? Are not all references to upper/lower made with the blade up as one would hold it if reading the signiture?

Thanx for the clarification.

Sorry Chuck, I knew I was going to cause confusion when I chose those words! The screw goes in the ana closest to the tsuba. Mekugi is closest to the kabutogane.

• Like 2

I have seen rinji with

A...2 screws, each entering from the opposite side.

B...1 screw / 1 peg types

C.. 2 peg types.

Screw types always have a 'threadless nut' as a rest for the screw head at the screw head end and a threaded nut at the threaded end (usually hidden by the same/binding)...this is so the screw (if over-tightened) will not crush the wooden hilt.

Hope this helps,

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 7/22/2020 at 12:40 AM, Ganko said:

post-1142-0-90554100-1595349250_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the Kiyokane. One of the star stamps is a different size. There is a stamp on each side of the nakago.

The koshirae is the 4th one down from the top in the pic.

Ganko san,

I was just browsing and saw this...It's been a while since you posted this but can I ask about the sword on the bottom of "Image 1"? (hope I haven't asked before).

Is it RJT?

Name of smith?  date?  tang numbers? What area of Japan?

I ask because I have one mounted the same way (rare..only seen about 3) mine is an RJT by Takashima Kunihide of Kyoto dated 8/44 with nos 98 on top edge of tang...I think they come from the Kyoto - Osaka - Hyogo region.

968957240_IMG_6631kunihide.thumb.jpg.c7b44db318d9b8c69aba2d83b9baaad5.jpg

Hope you canhelp,

Regards,

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2023 at 2:02 AM, Kiipu said:

Klaus, does/did your Kiyokane 清兼 have a sideways serial number at the bottom of the tang?

Arsenal Stamps.

Hello,

let me check and I will come back to you, but not before mid/end of next week as I am on holiday these days :glee:

kind Regards

Klaus

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 2:02 AM, Kiipu said:

Klaus, does/did your Kiyokane 清兼 have a sideways serial number at the bottom of the tang?

Arsenal Stamps.

Hello Thomas,

both blades do not have any stamped serial numbers at the bottom of the tang.

Attached some pics form both blades from the Nakago.

K1_date.jpg

K1_Mei.jpg

K2_date.jpg

K2_Mei.jpg

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..