Lovely Set But Does The Crack Kill It For You?

Stephen

Given that it goes all the way through-   As a newbie, it would have bothered me.

As an advanced collector- it doesn't bother me much. I know of a [TH?] papered kinko Miyamoto Musashi tsuba that has a significant crack.

It isn't easy to spot, and the tsuba is quite functional. The NBTHK didn't seem to mind.

Never the less, such things do lower the competition for such items a bit. --Or not!, depending upon the rarity. I doubt it had any impact on the value of the Miyamoto Musashi.

• Like 1

I'd love to say it wouldn't bother me. But it would. I can appreciate it easily, much the same as a Juyo with no boshi. But it would still niggle.
If it came at a significant discount, I would easily own it though. I do love it, it is stunning. But I wouldn't be able to forget the flaw.

Wouldn't bother me until it was time to sell, then other folk bothering would bother me.

:laughabove:

I recently priced something about 1/2 price due to a surface crack.

Lovely tsuba with a flaw that wouldn't be seen if it were mounted.

• Like 1

:laughabove:

I recently priced something about 1/2 price due to a surface crack.

Lovely tsuba with a flaw that wouldn't be seen if it were mounted.

Hi Curran, I hate buying anything these days unless there is peace of mind. Whilst the buyer of the tsuba above may be dazzled for a month or two with its beauty, sooner or later that crack will stick out like a sore thumb, would for me anyway. 

The price would have to be rock bottom, for me.

It is beautiful though, a pity. 

A crack like this, which goes all the way through and under the inlaid rock, is almost certainly a result of metal fatigue. It most probably wasn't there when first made but due to unrelieved internal stresses that would have built up when the shakudo plate was forged at some point they fractured the internal structure of the metal.

For me, knowing what the crack represents it doesn't in anyway bother me or impinge on my appreciation of enjoyment of the workmanship.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..