School And Age

svarsh

No, Alex.

None of my pieces is from my grandfather's collection. All of my pieces we acquired in last 5 years. I started collecting in 2013.

The torii and pine tsuba was purchased in Tokyo in 2014.

Sergei

Which one, Chris? The torii and pines? I don't think it's new. I bought it in Japan from a reputable dealer. 

Sergei the tsuba looks newly made for me.

Alex your Rising Sun and Waves site is great. Congratulation!

These are neat tsuba and the thread has been both fun and informative.

I have little to add, but...

I stopped collecting  dote mimi "katchushi" guards  (which used to be common and cheap) in part because of tsuba like the one that was at the top of this thread. It is a nice looking antique, but it looks fresh and more embellished that I liked as "armorsmiths'" work. Ultimately, I began to wonder if they might not be "OLD" (i.e. pre-Edo) tsuba that had been freshened up and embellished with zogan that matched the tastes of the 19th century.

Thanks for sharing and letting me muse.

Peter

Hi Peter,

The tsuba you mention as dote mimi "katchushi" was purchased at Hartman Rare Art in New York. It has a collection accession number. I understand that both pieces of circumstantial evidence (old reputable dealer and collector's mark) may lead us into the woods, but still I would prefer to think that it is an old and nice piece. What I like the most is that one antenna of the bug is inlaid and the other is carved out, and that which is carved and which is inlaid alternates on the face and the reverse.

post-2381-0-06945000-1527232526_thumb.jpg  post-2381-0-16164100-1527232543_thumb.jpg

... one antenna of the bug is inlaid and the other is carved out, and that which is carved and which is inlaid alternates on the face and the reverse.

Which, for me, is an idication that this was done intentionally. What are the odds of the entire inlay coming off on reversed elements on both sides of the tsuba? The lighting is probably off, but to me it looks like the real deal.

Btw, I would describe the rim as uchikaeshi-mimi, not dote-mimi - and both are seen on many types of tsuba, not only katchū-shi.

• Like 1

Which, for me, is an idication that this was done intentionally. What are the odds of the entire inlay coming off on reversed elements on both sides of the tsuba? The lighting is probably off, but to me it looks like the real deal.

Btw, I would describe the rim as uchikaeshi-mimi, not dote-mimi - and both are seen on many types of tsuba, not only katchū-shi.

Considering the number and nature of the inlaid elements....comfortably within the realm of possibility.

Cheers,

p.s.- If it is an intentional design choice, which is not impossible, it is IMO an ineffectual one.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, dote-mimi and uchikaeshi-mimi can both apply, since the first term simply describes the rising of the border, the second term refers to the way the border was obtained (but in this tsuba the rised border could have been obtained by a tomogane-fukurin - 共金覆輪, i.e. a fukurin made of the same iron).
About the ji-sukashi tsuba, my guess is Akasaka.
Bye, Mauro

Thanks Mauro. I will keep it under Akasaka, as you suggested.

Though, this is what some have said:

Japanese Swords and Sword Fittings from the Collection of Dr. Walter Ames Compton (Part I). Christie's, New York, March 31, 1992, pp. 28-29, № 53:

"A Tosa Myochin School Tsuba. Edo period (circa 1750), signed
Toshu ju Kuniyoshi saku
. The round iron plate pierced with a design of a temple gate (torii) and a pine tree. It has a round rim and there are some carved details on the surface of the design. The Tosa Myochin school, despite its foundation in the classic Myochin armor school tradition, worked mainly in the style of Akasaka school of Edo. [...]
Many are equal to the mid to later Akasaka school work and the two types have frequently been confused.
Signed examples are rare. Estimated price $1,500-2,000."

Sergei,

Take a look at the cited Compton tsuba and the example Mauro has given you, the only thing they share is a common design source.  Examine the material and workmanship closely...do they appear comparable to you?  If your answer is yes, something is amiss.

Cheers,

Steven, you are surely right, they are very different. And mine is different to theirs. That's why I am asking your opinion: which school/age is my piece?

Take a look at the cited Compton tsuba and the example Mauro has given you, the only thing they share is a common design source.  Examine the material and workmanship closely...do they appear comparable to you?  If your answer is yes, something is amiss.

Cheers,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..