Input On The Kozuka Is Appreciated.

barnejp

Hello Everyone,

Of all areas, kozuka seems to be the most difficult, at least for me.

They range from a couple hundred dollars to over $1000.

I'm not sure how one (like Aoi Japan) determines the price...signature aside.

I have attached photos for review.

Thanks All.

Greg

PS: Likely the last time I purchase a kozuka ;)

post-3914-0-49785700-1526268485_thumb.jpg

post-3914-0-75621700-1526268524_thumb.jpg

post-3914-0-93891700-1526268548_thumb.jpg

post-3914-0-68695600-1526268572_thumb.jpg

post-3914-0-11435600-1526268661_thumb.jpg

Hello,

FWLIW,

Fittings in general require a significant amount of study not unsimilar to nihonto; age, traditions, schools, quality of materials, quality of workmanship, and so forth, all of which goes towards determining value, even before you begin understanding individual pieces such as kozuka. And just like with swords, fittings will have a history of originality versus damage, repair, as well as reconditioning that must be considered and carefully assessed (preferably before you buy), it's never easy. All of these factors combined with the desirability of the piece itself and the individual maker go into determining price. Kozuka, especially very good ones, tend to be pricey. My guess would be mostly because there is a steady demand for kozuka and the truly art pieces are few and far between. 

Don't be discouraged, learn from each experience. As with nihonto one of the keys for learning is looking at as many of the best examples possible to develop your eye and knowledge.

fyi, https://archive.org/stream/japaneseswordmou16guns#page/n0/mode/2up

• Like 1

Guest Rayhan

Hi Greg

off the top of my head the condition looks so so and the damage is a problem. The Kozuka is Mumei as well so if this was not a damaged piece (as in from the seam) then it would probably run in the 100-200 range and not much more i should think. To be honest I have never seen a Japanese theme like that either. 

Well, I know nothing as a certain camp guard once said, so let me demonstrate it.  If I'm to be cut down at the knees let it be quick...

The theme is big-eared rabbits and it looks very, very good to me.  I go so far as to suggest Momoyama yamagane and a piece well worth repair at the hands of Ford or an acolyte - if Ford so thinks!!

BaZZa.

Barry were you on the red wine last night ?  To my mind this piece looks to be of low quality .In answer to your question Greg I think that the factors influencing price aside from the signature are, quality of workmanship primarily, also the materials used ,age , condition and rarity.

Ian Brooks

Overall the quality of the workmanship seems to be good, on the other hand this has seen a hard life. I would assume the expense to restore it to original condition would be prohibitive (I don't know how much FH charges), if it were to include touching up the gilding, shakudo and repairing the construction. It seems like it was a nice piece originally.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..