Kantei Opinion

Patrick,

It is a possibility as well as Kagehide who had the same hamon or Nagamitsu but no sansaku boshi. Ichimonji is also a good call, Fukuoka in particular.

My feeling is Hatakeda Moriiye

This sword just does not look that old! First guess was an Ishido sword that for some reason was cut down on the back end. A Korekazu maybe, Unjo? Also Musashi Daijo Korekazu fits, though still a bit older than this sword looks to me.

I don't see the hada that would make me think older blade, nor coloration, but choji is a dead ringer for Saburo Kunimune, but again, just does not look that old.

Can't wait to find out this is a 600 year old plus blade and I know nothing :)

I put a osuriage sword through the NTHK shinsa two weeks ago that is a lot like this one.  One friend thought Ichimonji and the other (a true expert) thought Hatakeda Moriiye.  It came back as shodai Korekazu but I am going to send it to Japan anyway.  It does look like this one has a san-saku boshi though, correct?  

Robert,

It is not really a sansaku boshi, it is more like some kind of classical boshi where the hamon enters straight in the kissaki and then is perfectly parallel to the cutting edge. The typical sansaku boshi is generally pointed and is rather straight or inward curved fom entering the kissaki then goes straight to the point before turning back.

If you want examples of what is a sansaku boshi, take Markus Sesko book, Koto Kantei, and look at Nagamitsu oshigata.

• Like 1

There are those that have told me that there are two ways to tell if a supposed Ichimonji blade is instead a cut down Ishido blade (apparently many Ishido blades were cut down to deceive buyers that they were Ichimonji).  One was if the boshi is rather straight, rather than a continuation of the wavy hamon.  The other was if the hada in the shinogi ji is masame instead of mokume.  Do you have an opinion on this Jean?

• Like 1

Thanks Jean.  The steel is part of the reason I will send this sword to Japan despite the NTHK-NPO kantei to shodai Korekazu (which still makes it cut down shinto as far as I am concerned).  It has an amazing mokume nagare steel that just doesn't feel like shinto to me.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..