Re-Fletching Arrows

Ron STL

This may be in the wrong category but... We were discussing where to have antique Japanese arrow shafts properly re-fletched. This is to go with an old bow all that goes with it. The fletching on the arrows are long gone. Anyone know of a reliable place to have this work done, traditionally? USA or elsewhere? Thanks RonSTL

I believe they were originally fletched with eagle or bird of prey feathers but generally now it's turkey feather.

3Rivers sell a turkey feather which is cut in the Japanese style - https://www.3riversarchery.com/kyudo-feathers.html

Doing it yourself is not hard. I shoot regularly with a traditional recurve bow and have to refletch from time to time.

Fletching jigs are readily available or it can be done by eye and very small spots of superglue to positiion the feathers.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/search.html?w=fletch+jig

Never heard of anywhere offering the service for old Japanese arrows but most archery shops offer refletching though I doubt they'd do the whipping.

• Like 1

Ron, I've used Jaap Koppedrayer at Yumi-bows.com for refurbishing a 19th century yumi and to make a couple war arrow reproductions and he does good work. Unfortunately I can't seem to enter his site on-line? Try Krackow Co. LLC, in Pa. They have dealt with Jaap and may be able to help.   Good luck,  John

When I used to do archery in the 1970's I fletched scores of arrows using a fletching jig which you can get from any archery supplier. Whilst eagle and other raptor feathers are not readily available, a lot of original Japanese arrows use pheasant feathers and you will have no problem getting those. Note that unlike us in the West, the Japanese used the tail feathers not from the wing. As long as you leave a few mm of quill at each end of the fletching you can put a binding on like the traditional Japanese and make a really good job..

Ian Bottomley 

Thanks guys, this is more info than was found before. Feathers are not a problem since the owner wanting this done lives in the country and finds (and keeps) lost hawk feathers for such a purpose. I'll pass this info on to him along with any more that comes in. Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..