Couturier Tsuba

TETSUGENDO

Got this from the neck of a mannequin in the window of a vintage clothing store.  It was used as a pendant, strung from a long silk cord,  'a la Norma Desmond.  The proprietress claimed it was 1920's/30's costume jewelry!  Things turn up in the strangest places.

post-3432-0-54488700-1523502417_thumb.jpg

post-3432-0-63896500-1523502448_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

It appears to be iron -

Is it cast??

Has it been monkeyed with??

It seems to have an odd surface and condition.

Talk about the odd places things turn up, a friend found a sujibachi kabuto hanging upside and being used as a flowerpot!!

BaZZa.

• Like 3

Boy, that is a classic little Norisuke there. I could show you several like that from the books.

That is a nice find.

See attached reference for shodai and nidai signatures.

Also, here is one of the Norisuke books for sale [Nagoya NBTHK, good- but I prefer the Owari Tosando's 90 page section on Norisuke].

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j482108427

Scroll through images for some examples with similarities.

post-44-0-35625600-1523532430_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-83736900-1523532469_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i am definitely seconding Ford´s points here...

there is no sign of a forge or punched/ciseled work here on these pictures you did post Steven....

do compare the bw pictures Curran did post you, and you will immediately see the difference. ( especially as it shall be the same generation here! )

again, a typical cast and fake one to blind the novices eyes....

well.....

Christian

• Like 2

Hmmm! I find it just a little odd, that the chisel would leave a 'dappled' effect, at the end of its strike.

Would expect a clean regular finish at this point.

Also the 'veins' in the leaves, appear to have a loss of detail on all the high points.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great find Steven,

and in the most unlikely of places. Looks 100% geniune to my eyes, I have seen this iron finish on may of his works.

I have seen VW car badges used as pendants ( not by me I hasen to add ) but never tsuba, you might have started a new fashion craze here !!

Kindest regards

Michael

• Like 1

Michael,

Your words are most appreciated.  It's apparent you are familiar with the variables that may be encountered, as to the effects of texture and time, on iron surfaces. Yes, finding this piece in a totally unexpected context was a fun surprise.  BTW, the "wave" tsuba you posted is one of the nicest examples of its type that I have seen, best of luck with it.

Cheers,

Well...

https://www.facebook.com/266005023454853/photos/a.266009073454448.82484.266005023454853/1428357853886225/?type=3&theater

:-)

rkg
(Richard George)

Great find Steven,

and in the most unlikely of places. Looks 100% geniune to my eyes, I have seen this iron finish on may of his works.

I have seen VW car badges used as pendants ( not by me I hasen to add ) but never tsuba, you might have started a new fashion craze here !!

Kindest regards
Michael

• Like 1

Richard - so where do we order these then ?

Steven, its an easy mistake to make just from pictures if you have not handled many Norisuke tsuba. I have often seen surface texture the very same as yours on their tsuba, Infact if you look on Tetsugendo facebook page there is a Norisuke pictured with the very same texture - and those guys as professional dealers no their stuff. Just seems to have been a peculiarity of their iron.

In an ironic way I think both Norisukes ( father and son ) would be rather pleased if it were a copy as that is mainly how they made their living and probably see it as a complement.

Kindest regards

Michael

• Like 1

Concisely put, and spot on.  And yes, pictures can be misleading without familiarity of the particular article at hand.  Thanks for taking the time to put this forward as I have become disinclined to argue with absurdity....some people,simply, "Can't see the forest for the trees".

Cheers,

p.s.-on the bolo tie, Richard may have started something!

Not being a tsuba collector, but having a basic understanding of how they are made, used,and why.

I have followed this post, and now as a novice need some clarity and answers.

The nakago ana is the focus of my attention.

If this is an original tsuba, then it is suggested that at some time it has been fitted to a blade.

To allow this fit, the standard signs of alteration to its size is present.

The seat of the kuchi-beni to accomodate the nakago mune is very much smaller than the original ana, this immediately indicates this tsuba was way to large for the intended blade. Yes it has been done, but then its not unusual for the kuchi-beni to have ‘wings’ passing around the blade, to resist the twisting motion at this point.

Moving now to the ha area of the nakago ana, this tsuba shows the usual punch method of spreading metal to tighten the blade grip at this point. But this is where I lose the plot. The method shows at least 4 strokes of the punch each side, each one progressively spreading the metal. Yet the surface texture is faithfully carried down to the very last punch strike, how did he do that?.

• Like 2

at least 4 strokes of the punch each side, each one progressively spreading the metal. Yet the surface texture is faithfully carried down to the very last punch strike, how did he do that?.

Succinctly put. And once Occam's razor is applied the truth becomes very clear.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..