Royal Mail Idiots

Sold the Katchushi tsuba a short while ago, and shipped it off to Australia, clearly labelled with the address and return address.

I sent tracked, all the way.

The one and only visible note on the tracking states "delivered at SOUTH NORWOOD PDO".

​I calls the post office yesterday to find out whats going on ?

​A lady replied "Errrrr, not sure where it is". :bang: 

​She added "There could be an error and its still on its way to Australia OR its lost in Norwood (UK), either at the post office OR been delivered to a Norwood UK address, really sorry about this, really sorry, very unusual" :bang: 

​I said "you don't actually know where its been delivered????????????????"

​"No sorry, you will have to go down to the post office for a Pwhatever form :bang:  :bang: , we cant do any more about it until we we get the form back with all the details :bang: , realy sorry, sorry"

Ive never lost a TRACKED parcel before.

Hi Ken, yes, but not for the full amount.

On lower value items I don't usually go full value, folk don't usually want to pay it and most ask for the cheaper option.

Usually I would ask the buyer, this time ive gone autopilot and not asked.

I was given 2 options by the desk guy for delivery, things are always changing down there,

A    Tracked in UK, not Australia, but signed for.

B    Tracked in UK and Australia (went for this)

Buyer will get full refund, I will get some insurance plus shipping costs.

Hoping it will turn up, will call them again later.

Unusual, first time in many years of shipping stuff abroad that this as happened with a tracked service, obviously will be more careful in future.

Its terrible that this sort of thing happens Alex. My local delivery guy told me that my neighbor used to work for the same company and was caught stealing a number of parcels instead of delivering them and got fired and hopefully charged (now the piece of crap deals drugs). I really hope nothing like this has happened with your tsuba Alex. Its always a relief to receive anything of value in the mail hassle free, especially nihonto relatex items. Best of luck.

Greg

Cheers John and Greg.

Cant believe they did this, absolute muppets.

I will get onto complaints later, see what they can do.

I suppose ive been taking it for granted that tracked is a reliable option, this will serve as a reminder.

Buyers beware.

Im NOT talking about this particular sale now and im guilty of this myself. When asking sellers to cut costs with shipping and assuming all will be well, remember one day that you might regret that decision.

Royal Mail and Parcel Force will not insure Art or Antiques, or even a bacon sandwich.
They will gladly sell you insurance, but will not pay out when they damage or misplace it.

I took out an independent Restorer and Dealers Insurance policy. I can ship anywhere with a value of 50k in transit.
On the outside of the parcel, I write "Nylon or Metal Machine Cogs eBay, then a very low value.
My insurer instructed me to do so as it reduces the likelihood of someone in the logistics chain liberate the parcel. $10,000 /500 yr old antique samurai sword is a description that some may find tempting. Usually they get stolen at the RDC(HUB) where they cannot be traced to a driver etc.

As many cant justify buying a dedicated insurance policy its best to completely fib about whats inside the box. Risk it without insurance or have it based on the invented contents description.

The only downside to this is when you send overseas, antiques have either no, or low import duty, if you change the contents description the recipient gets a higher duty bill.

Hi Alex. I think your tsuba is still in the UK if you put SOUTH NORWOOD PDO in google the UK comes up did you put a postcode on the parcel ?  it should look like this   NORWOOD SOUTH, SA 5067 in Australia if not it will go local hope that helps :)

Alex,

I wince when I read Dave T's words, the usual dilemma.  Jim P above has good advice.  My thoughts are it could have been delivered to another house in YOUR VERY OWN STREET or, heaven forbid, anywhere in your Norwood suburb.  A mate here had exactly the same situation and door-knocked up and down his street and he did find his missing parcel that way.

Keep us "posted"...

BaZZa.

Thanks Gents, 

I put the shipping no into Australian tracking and it says "pending/ no updates yet".

I put the correct address with the correct postcode. Your right Jim, it did go by way of Norwood UK. Ive just spoke to a lady down at complaints, she said Norwood PDO is the stop before the airport. She could not tell me where abouts it is but said give it some time, as she thinks there may be an error with the tracking and it may well be on its way to Australia. She also said that its not officially lost for 21 days, so in that time it may get there or hopefully be returned.

Dave, if lost then I hope they pay out. Ive provided them with enough evidence, receipts and stuff. We will see, hopefully all will get sorted. Something I will bare in mind in the future.

Cheers.

When was the parcel shipped? It's not unusual for it to take 2-3 weeks before you get updates from Australia. It will update on the Australia post website before the Royal Mail site.

If you've got an Android/iOS phone, install one of the parcel tracking apps, set the tracking number to australia post and it will notify you the minute the tracking number gets updates.

When was the parcel shipped? It's not unusual for it to take 2-3 weeks before you get updates from Australia. It will update on the Australia post website before the Royal Mail site.

If you've got an Android/iOS phone, install one of the parcel tracking apps, set the tracking number to australia post and it will notify you the minute the tracking number gets updates.

Thanks Peter, 28th March posted, 29th Norwood UK, then nothing apart from the pending on the Australian site.

I didn't know updates can take that long to Australia, would think the 2 ladies ive spoke to so far would have mentioned that.

I will install the app, Cheers

Tracking numbers are a good idea, but there is always someone along the line who will fiddle the system. I lost a brand-new exhaust pipe which arrived at the central depot in Crewe or Coventry or somewhere and just vanished into thin air. No amount of telephoning could turn up any information, even involving depot managers at either end.

Recently I find trips to the Post Office a major hassle as you have to lie about almost everything just to get them to accept a stupid parcel. Then you say a prayer and hope it gets past all the ignorant officials and petty thieves in the system.

Last December I sent a present untracked to Brian but it never got to him.

Now I have my fingers crossed over another two going tracked EMS into the ether. One has taken way too long already. :bang:

• Like 1

I use the App --- Aftership.   also i can recommend putting same tracking number in for both the senders delivery system and the local receivers delivery system.  If i receive something from Japan Post, and then local Hong Kong Post   but same tracking number.  The JP will update after HK Post once it lands in HK, Customs, distribution, and delivery

Beware also of small shipping outfits and perhaps more importantly think about the package. I handed over a series of items in a locked gun-case that was also bound with shipping tape. At the other end it was found to have been opened somewhere en route and an item stolen. Most of the people working in this kind of trade are self-employed contractors, some of whom supplement the lousy pay. I admit the major reason was probably the gun-case (not my choice) that aroused interest and prompted the curiosity of one of the people in the chain.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your comments.

Good news, the tsuba was delivered in Australia to the buyer on the 16th April :)

As for Royal mail tracking, no updates other than  "Your item, posted on 28/03/18 was delivered in SOUTH NORWOOD PDO on 29/03/18." 

​Australian tracking still states "pending, no updates yet"

All in all, a bit of a mess with the tracking and the staff at the post enquiries were not much use either, but at least it turned up safe.

As mentioned in another recent thread, we do have a responsibility in looking after these antiques. I would have been very disappointed to have lost one.

Thanks again to the buyer for his patience.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..