Anyone Able To Identify This Tsuba?

Scripps

Scott,

the quality of an item has nothing to do with the signature. Look closely at the TSUBA and ask yourself if you like what you see. If you are no expert, the most important step is to compare with high quality item from reliable sources. NMB offers a lot of material to learn from! 

Don't buy unless you know what you are looking at! 

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

My opinion, for the little it is worth, is that both tsuba are handmade and that both are late (late Edo at the earliest).  The 1st appears to be silver and of better quality than the 2nd, but both are real and shouldn't be dismissed offhand.

Grey

• Like 7

Scott, like with anything you buy, knowing what to look for is key, & knowledge is power. In lieu of buying books & studying, I suggest that you check out Grey's Web-site above (he even has a convenient link) on which he has posted excellent-quality tsuba, among other things, & where you'll KNOW that the tsuba are authentic.

• Like 1

I am with Grey here - the first one appears to be a nice late Edo / Meiji period tsuba. The material is strange, however - could be silver or maybe it has lost its original patination. It is signed „道暁作“ meaning Michi(?aka?tsuki?) Saku. The signature looks to be engraved and - from what I can see from the pictures - the dragon fish is also quite nice - just take a closer look at its eye.

Best,

Chris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..