Different Types Of Same Gawa

vfox

First is shark, second is lizzard.

You find in different times all types of same, like shark, snake, lizzard or ray. In older times they use also Brokat (with Gold and Silver), or metal (silver or copper). In showa celluloid, cotton, "Leinen" or other things that are available.

Rayskin is only better when the pearls are big and worthy. 

I am assuming that the two photos are showing the same tsuka......it appears that the area nearest the tsuba is rayskin, followed by sharkskin, and ending in rayskin again. Doesn't seem like top quality work. As far as i know, the purpose of the underlayment is to secure the wrapping in place, as there are little teeth-like structures on the skins that grip the lacing.

• Like 1

Dear Jay.

I'm not sure that I am understanding you correctly.  As far as my limited experience goes all the gunto that I have seen or owned have used either same or the plastic equivalent.  My kaigunto has a sharksin saya but same for the tsuka.

Could you clarify?

All the best.

I'm pretty sure this is an army tsuka, but it's not the standard type. 

Maybe a late war piece?

If it helps, the menuki look like they were painted green too.

Adding a few more pics:

post-3031-0-97270400-1521918592_thumb.jpegpost-3031-0-04780100-1521918601_thumb.jpeg

post-3031-0-85866300-1521918651_thumb.jpegpost-3031-0-63949700-1521919072_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the responses!

Jay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..