Iida Latches

IJASWORDS

While transferring files after a computer melt down, i came across these, i'm sure i've posted them before, but thought i'd add them here also.

It seems there this latch method was not reserved just for Army use, the Navy got to use these aswell.

I found these posted on a forum some 5 years ago 

Edit- found the forum , it was Gunboards.

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

• Thanks 1

Stegel, I have seen that loop on quite a few swords without the Iida latch. Pictured is one of my Iida latches with the number, 147, which matches the other fittings. I think that the individual components had to fit precisely, so I am sure they were made in individually fitted sets. Love the Kai with the latch (and the red toe nails!).  

a4.jpg

a3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stegel said:

Last one, an ordinary 'Normal' tsuba, but with the same loop 'appendage' added

It has the first seppa moulded as part of the tsuba, so perhaps it was intended, but never got to be used in the Iida latch set up

1.jpg

Look closely at the Fuchi, it has the same unique blossom design as the other Iida swords, this is quite interesting.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:54 AM, PNSSHOGUN said:

Look closely at the Fuchi, it has the same unique blossom design as the other Iida swords, this is quite interesting.

Those are my pics from one I used to own. It was a wakizashi.

from the lock mounts I’ve seen, the blades tend to be Imai Sadashige. Is that what others have observed as well?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Neil, or anyone who owns one of these - Are these latches on a spring?  Hard to tell from the photos.  They appear to stay open when raised, but they must have a spring to hold them closed or they'd flap about with the blade out.  If on a spring, how do you avoid the flap from rubbing against the blade as it is withdrawn?

Hi Bruce

mine (link below) does have a spring but when you draw the sword it stays firmly in the fully open position and requires pressure to close it….it then “snaps” shut firmly and the spring holds it closed.   All the best  Colin

• Thanks 1

The Iida latch came about during the Sino-Japanese War that started in 1937.  Water was getting into the sword scabbards when crossing rivers & such and causing rust damage.  Japanese troops were complaining and Iida san came out with this latch to address the problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiipu said:

Water was getting into the sword scabbards when crossing rivers & such and causing rust damage.

Seems as if the latch would only be useful in protecting the inside of the scabbard when the sword was drawn. Did they remove the blade from the scabbard while crossing rivers to protect it? (Kind of like a soldier holding his rifle above his head?)

John C.

I read about it in a Russian article that I mentioned in the bibliography.

Bibliography of Japanese Modern Edged Weapons, 1868-1945

"При обнажённом мече на дне ножен скапливалась дождевая вода или речная во время переправы, и это приводило к коррозии клинка, что  тревожило военнослужащих. Именно поэтому почтенный Кунитаро и задался мыслью изобрести нечто такое, что этому будет препятствовать"6. Запатентованное устройство Иида дало офицерскому оружию (включая морские образцы) тот уровень защиты клинка от агрессивной среды, который не могли обеспечить обычные механизмы зажимной скобы, устанавливаемые на военных мечах. В наши дни редкие мечи с затворным устройством Иида являются желанным объектом приобретения для коллекционеров. После окончания Второй мировой войны Иида Кунитаро активно участвовал в движении по возрождению искусства японского меча. Его третий сын Иида Кадзуо, родившийся в 1934 году, стал одним из ведущих исследователей и экспертов в области мечей. Иида Кунитаро скончался в больничных стенах 17 сентября 1979 года (54 год Сёва) в префектуре Тиба.

A Google translation comes up with the following.

With a naked sword, rainwater or river water accumulated at the bottom of the scabbard during the crossing, and this led to corrosion of the blade, which worried the military. That is why the venerable Kunitaro set out to invent something that would prevent this”6. Iida's patented device gave officer weapons (including naval designs) a level of blade protection against harsh environments that conventional clevis mechanisms found on military swords could not provide. These days, rare swords with the Iida breech mechanism are sought after by collectors. After the end of World War II, Iida Kunitaro was actively involved in the movement to revive the art of the Japanese sword. His third son Iida Kazuo, born in 1934, became one of the leading sword researchers and experts. Iida Kunitaro died in a hospital on September 17, 1979 (Showa 54) in Chiba Prefecture.

@wiktor69 Is this Google translation more or less correct?

• Like 1

Bruce, in the closeup photo, you will see a dot of spot weld. This spot weld secures a flat piece of spring steel steel (NOT a coil spring) that keeps the cover erect or flat. The saya is then painted over on assembly. 

I have been contacted by a few collectors who had missing springs, and wanted to know how to repair or replace the spring. This would be a delicate operation!!   

l6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..