Iida Latches

IJASWORDS

See photos. I have some of the uncommon Iida latch type Guntos and have a question about their differences in design. There are subtle differences in their design and function. No knurling on one, no patent number on another, different hardware used. I was told that the one with no numbers could be a prototype or a manufacture before patents were issued. It may also be from another manufacturer as there are many subtle design differences between the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-3858-0-45137100-1521685305_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-49973600-1521685324_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-02222800-1521685345_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-66780500-1521685369_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Neil, my good man. I can see that this inconsistancy is troubling you greatly! In a totally selfless act, I propose you mail one of them to me, thereby removing the conflict and sparing you this suffering. Hurry, we don't want this to affect your health!!!

In the meantime ... I certainly don't know the answer, but wanted to comment on the unusual kuchigane of the top one in the 3rd photo. Lends to your idea that there was a certain tolerance by acceptance inspectors for certain amount of variation.

But back to your fretting ... you have my address, right?!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The address is the same for both the advertisement and the Iida patent.  So they are related. The company name in the advertisement is Iida Shop Unlimited Partnership 合名会社・飯田商店. 

The translation of the latch can be found at the thread below.

"Iida Kunitaro Gunto Koshirae - Help"

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/18110-iida-kunitaro-gunto-koshirae-help/

I am sure SteveM and BangBangSan will be along shortly to fill in some more gaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

The Fuchi & Koiguchi are also unadorned, usually seen on later war swords with leather retention tabs. The blade looks to be of very fine quality though, strange combination.

I would suggest that it is later war, and the blade one of those picked up in the sword collection/purchase drives that we now know about.....  For those not familiar with what I was meaning here is a doc. from Mr Komiya, thought it appears that the blade is one of those rare genuine family blades.

gunto call up 12-23-2017.pdf

Edited by Dave R
added file
  • Like 1

Trystan, good question about the metal loop on the tsuba. The only way I have been able to attach the tassel......

Take off the sarute

Pull the tassel through the metal loop with string or fishing line 

Tie the tassel onto the sarute

Re-attach the sarute onto the tzuka. Voila!!! 

And to be honest, the tassel looks very smart done like this. 

Interesting observation Trystan!  Neil, I see yours is made the same way, and they even painted the thickened center the burnt red color as they would the boar's eye seppa.

I hate to sidetrack the thread, but wasn't there a thread, Neil, where you explored the purpose of that metal loop?  I tried a search but, alas, you know how bad I am at searches.  My follow-on question is "Are these loops only found on Iada-made fittings?"

19 minutes ago, Dave R said:

You reckon red gloss saya are a mark of a 94?

While certainly not an absolute rule, more often than not they are found on Type 94 and early Type 98. Of the three Type 94 I own, all have with gloss red/brown saya (one with remnants of the original finish).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, IJASWORDS said:

Trystan, good question about the metal loop on the tsuba. The only way I have been able to attach the tassel......

Take off the sarute

Neil

Can you post a photo for that?Thanks!

On 8/27/2020 at 3:00 AM, IJASWORDS said:

Take off the sarute

It might look smart, but the sword knot (tassel) can no longer be used for its intended purpose.

sword grip.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave R said:

the sword knot (tassel) can no longer be used for its intended purpose

Wow Dave!  That's the first time I've seen an officer wearing the tassel as a retention strap.  I've seen a couple of NCO pics of them in use that way, but never an officer.  Great picture!

It puts the purpose of the metal loop back in question, though.  I suspect not all officers were inclined to actually use the strap, and would have used the metal loop for their tassel as the whole thing, for many, was a status symbol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..