Kai Gunto Blade

SwordStudent703

Hey guys,

I recently bought a very nice set of kai gunto koshirae with shark skin saya. I am now looking to get hold of a good quality gendaito blade (traditionally made) by an accredited navy smith to have it fitted. If someone knows of someone or has such a blade that they would like to sell please let me know and I will make contact. Oh yes and my budget for this is approximately US $3000.00.

Thanks.  

Hengu,
You may already know this, but the chances of finding a blade to fit your tsuka and saya are really minimal. You are going to have to have someone completely disassemble  the tsuka, unwrap it, make a new core, rewrap (so it won't be original anymore) and refit everything. And then your blade is not going to fit the saya.
Plus....most Kai Gunto were not made with gendaito blades, and most were just stainless arsenal blades. yes, there were exceptions...but an accredited naval smith? Not really going to happen.
And of course no-one in South Africa who can remotely do the work.
Did you buy the Kai Gunto that i saw pics of floating around the knife forums locally?
For your budget, you can just buy a nice Gendaito and keep the Kai Gunto with a tsunagi for display. Just my advice, use it or not. Good luck whichever way you proceed.

Brian is right. If you have a nice kai gunto koshirae put it on display it will look very nice. Mint kai gunto koshirae goes rare. Many have broken saya or the saya same has lost pieces.

Archived