Gaijin Katchushi On Japanese Tv

DaveT

I had the pleasure of working with Osaka TV today. The crew has flown to the UK to make a short program about the English Katchushi who makes his own odoshi and works for Japanese dealers. There was a lot to film and we covered the difference between sengoku and edo period armours, also the changes that took place in manufacturing after the teppo was introduced to the battlefield. We spent some time filming the process of making odoshi-ito and then a section on armour making and urushi.
I managed to get the message across that there is an obligation for a katchushi to restorer armour to the best of his/her ability and that such work preserves katchu for future generations. A sense of giri which is extended to the former samurai owners.

I felt this was an eye opener for the Japanese when they saw 30 armours they freaked out. We are certainly letting them know that there is a lot going on in the west. I was naughty and put some katchu "easter eggs" in should you be able to spot them.

29216239_10155210987862190_1680328799767
29196342_10155213211527190_8440105950664

29244432_10155213210897190_1444071062655
29214604_10155213171752190_3963363977861

29249651_10155213171577190_1829444794359

• Like 18

Lovely collection, nicely displayed.

Apart from those little extras, like boxes, lanterns, spears, swords, prints, the odd Netsuke etc., what sort of 'easter eggs' are you referring to? Hidden goodies, like a mannequin for example?

PS You do not light that fire, do you, or are the swords only there for the TV crew? :laughing:

• Like 1

Lovely collection, nicely displayed.

Apart from those little extras, like boxes, lanterns, spears, swords, prints, the odd Netsuke etc., what sort of 'easter eggs' are you referring to? Hidden goodies, like a mannequin for example?

PS You do not light that fire, do you, or are the swords only there for the TV crew? :laughing:

Piers,

We have central heating now in the UK. No need to burn coal in the living room with 80% of the heat escaping up the chimney. 

Easter Eggs, little gifts to hunt for. Well here are a few.

The woodblock print on the wall is depicting a samurai taking a very smelly dump. They didn't notice. 

29216525_10155213270822190_7906151282803

I put the kyubi and sendan no ita on the Aka-Domaru on the wrong sides and one dou backwards.

I thought it would be funny for an educated katchu person in Japan to watch it and say, ah, stupid gaijin. Something that Felix Beato in 1856 would have encountered without knowing any better.   

There were some funny questions.

TV:

Is this room cold for a reason?

DT:

The heating is turned off during the day

TV:

Are all your customers in England?

DT:

Worldwide including Japan

TV:

Why Japan?

DT:

Because I'm good at what I do

TV:

What was your biggest surprise when buying an armour?

DT:

My wife divorcing me after she found out how much money I had spent

You kind of get the drift.

• Like 2

The 1810's period print by Hokusai is a textbook example of symbolic inversion says Katsuysa Hirano (2014). About the print entitled Privy, on page 113 he states "Hokusai tried to demonstrate the absurdity of the rigid ritualism and hierarchical values (of the Edo period) through this profane instant. In this illustration the retainer on the the left holds a travel trunk containing the lord's clothes. The middle retainer is the sandal bearer. The man in the black holds the highest rank of all, and is responsible for protecting his master indicated by his two swords. The iconography of the supposedly reverential behavior of loyalty to the master turns into that of ridiculousness, even irrationality... "

A fine read which I recommend:

51C84lkVD7L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Dave, just fabulous to watch your achievements.  The Odoshi machine is stunnink!!  Its all worth a watch, but for those short on time Dave's portion is from approx. 7:00 minutes to ~11:00.

WOW!!!

Best regards,

Barry Thomas

aka BaZZa.

• Like 3

Great Job Dave!!! Nicely displayed

"I put the kyubi and sendan no ita on the Aka-Domaru on the wrong sides and one dou backwards.
I thought it would be funny for an educated katchu person in Japan to watch it and say, ah, stupid gaijin."

I love your ability to tease even if the interview is still a pretty big deal. You've done your time and earned your badges... nothing to prove :)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..