Gendaito Translation

Hey guys,

Here's a Star Stamped - Rikugun Jumei Tosho gendaito that I'm considering bidding on but I'm not so sure who the smith is. Can anyone maybe help with the translation? Would appreciate any help. I've tried to translate the date inscription myself but would welcome any corrections :D

Thanks.

post-4422-0-41654300-1520962344_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-87701300-1520962351_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-10489700-1520962361_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-73393400-1520979243_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-10022700-1520979331_thumb.jpg

春日製造所文忠作

Kasuga Seizōsho Fumitada saku

This may be the same smith as Harumoto mentioned on the site below.

https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/gendai2.htm

Would like to see the date side without the boxes on it. I think you have the date right, but the "kore" by itself at the end doesn't make sense. 

• Like 3

春日製造所文忠作

Kasuga Seizōsho Fumitada saku

This may be the same smith as Harumoto mentioned on the site below.

https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/gendai2.htm

Would like to see the date side without the boxes on it. I think you have the date right, but the "kore" by itself at the end doesn't make sense. 

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the translation!!! I don't know if the date pic is going to be that clear but I've uploaded the unboxed pic up in my original post together with some inspection stamps. Unfortunately since I don't have other pics to upload as I poached these from the auction site ;) 

Sincerely!

• 3 years later...
On 3/13/2018 at 10:34 AM, SwordStudent703 said:

I've tried to translate the date inscription myself but would welcome any corrections.

Detective Trystan, AKA @BANGBANGSAN, pointed this sword out to me and I was a bit surprised to see it.  In answer to your question, the date appears to be either February or March 1945 but I am leaning more toward March 1945 昭和二十年三月.  The swords made prior to this were inscribed with 小倉陸軍造兵廠 [Kokura Army Arsenal].  However, this sword is marked with the factory name as indicated by SteveM, instead of the arsenal's name.  Below is a summary of these Kokura Army Arsenal made star-stamped blades.

小倉陸軍造兵廠: used on swords dated May 1944 to February 1945.

春日製造所: used on swords dated March 1945 to May 1945.

For those that maintain records, below is a link to one dated May 1945.

gunto mei help please

As in the way of background, I will quote a March 1946 American intelligence report in regards to Kasuga Factory.

KASUGA Factory of the KOKURA Army Arsenal

Plans for this factory were started in 1939 for the purpose of increasing the arms output of the KOKURA Arsenal.  KASUGABAB, FUKUOKA was selected for the location and construction started December 1942.  The factory was completed in August 1943 and the factory head, with 350 employees started production.  In November 1943 it was able to produce 31 aircraft machine guns.

The decentralization of all facilities of the KASUGA Factory was started in March 1945 because of bombing raids.  The new location was TERUOKA, HITA (HIDA) City, OITA prefecture.  All facilities were housed in temporary barracks and were to be moved to underground caves in the same manner as the Second Factory of the Arsenal.  At the close of the war 95% of the machines had been removed to HITA (HIDA) but no production was started.  The following reasons were stated:

(1)    Because of the non-completed forge shops, stock had to be supplied from the Second Factory and this was limited.

(2)    Lack of skilled laborers.

(3)    Lack of transportation to bring supplies and also transport supplies within the factory.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:13 PM, Kiipu said:

Detective Trystan, AKA @BANGBANGSAN, pointed this sword out to me and I was a bit surprised to see it.  In answer to your question, the date appears to be either February or March 1945 but I am leaning more toward March 1945 昭和二十年三月.  The swords made prior to this were inscribed with 小倉陸軍造兵廠 [Kokura Army Arsenal].  However, this sword is marked with the factory name as indicated by SteveM, instead of the arsenal's name.  Below is a summary of these Kokura Army Arsenal made star-stamped blades.

小倉陸軍造兵廠: used on swords dated May 1944 to February 1945.

春日製造所: used on swords dated March 1945 to May 1945.

For those that maintain records, below is a link to one dated May 1945.

gunto mei help please

As in the way of background, I will quote a March 1946 American intelligence report in regards to Kasuga Factory.

Thomas,

You just popped all my Circuit Breakers with this overload!!! Ah!

First, I'd go with "May"

692789037_Screenshot2022-01-15072543.jpg.19efacbc4beec2e8f31650878397767a.jpg

Now this post-war report is confirming, clearing up our question as to the meaning or right translation of the Kokura 1st Factory inspector mark and 2nd Factory inspection mark.  Right? Which also blows the Collectors' Urban legend that Kokura Arsenal didn't make swords, they were just an Administrative overseer for Tokyo 1st and Nagoya.  Or are we distinguishing a difference between an arsenal making swords within the arsenal itself vs an arsenal that has 2 factories specifically made for them and making swords for the arsenal?  Either way, we now have the actual name of the Kokura Arsenal 1st Factory!

Ok, and now we have Star-stamped blades with a shop mei - Kasuga Workshop + Smith - and we have 2 of them, one by Fumitada (not listed on the RJT pages, Slough, nor Sesko), and Yasunori (also not on the RJT list).

Now, Yasunori.  Slough lists 2 - Kajiyama (High to Superior Gendaito) from Tokyo; and Kotani (Med to High grade Gendaito) from Hiroshima.  Both used the kiri yasurime style found on Yasukunito.  He doesn't mention the Yasukuni shrine operation for either of them.  Any idea which Yasunori we might be seeing here?

@mecox @george trotter - any help?

14 hours ago, Kiipu said:

Below are the links to the three

Thanks Thomas!

I had the 2 '44s, but they aren't star-stamped.  I've added the star-stamped '45.  Interesting that they were making these earlier, but no star.  Maybe someone at Korkura thought their blades deserved the recognition (i.e. his career portfolio) and submitted some blades to the RJT people for qualification?  Or maybe it was someone distributing the tamahagane and realized the Kokura factory blades deserved the star?  Wish we knew.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:47 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

First, I'd go with "May"

I compared it to the other Kasuga that is dated May and I agree that they are the same style and cut.  The sword in the OP then is dated May 1945 昭和二十年五月.  For those that would like to look at the auction photographs, see the link below.  I would like to extend my thanks to Trystan for locating the auction photographs.

Japan -Harumoto - Type 98 -IJA WW2 officer katana, Shin gunto, gendaito - Sword

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, Kiipu said:

@md02geist & @Nihonto Chicken  If either of you by chance still have the blades linked to above, can you check to see if they are star-stamped?  The star is usually high up on the tang, sometimes under the habaki.

Checking in late, sorry.  No star stamp on my blade.

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2023 at 11:58 AM, Kiipu said:

See post #8 above and read the quote at the bottom.

Post #8

Ah, thanks Thomas.  I actually had Oita province on file with 2 blades made in May of 1945, the Yasunori and Fumitada blades, which fits the discussion you've linked.  For future reference, it states the original location was Kasugabab, Fukuoka in 1943.  It moved to Oita, underground in March '45.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..