An Exciting Journey

general_piffle

Three years ago I purchased my first ever nihonto. A katana from Ian Chapman. A slender mumei koto blade in shirasaya with lots of utsuri, as Ian told me. Well, curiosity got the better of me. I thought to myself, not once but many times, what more could I discover if I sent this sword for shinsa?

So, it has now made its way back to Japan. Probably for the first time in a very long time. To be polished and sent for shinsa by Kenji Mishina. After just over a month in Japanese customs the sword is now in Mr Mishina's hands. He also said koto and in his view from the Bizen province. I feel there is a lot more to find out. I'll be fascinated to hear what the shinsa panel has to say.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see the result. Both polished sword and the attribution it gets by the shinsa team. You have great comparison view from Kenji Mishina as he polished it and worked long time on it. :)

Thanks Jussi. This is what Mr Mishina had to say when the sword arrived in Japan back in February:

"The sword arrived safely and it looks like a koto of Bizen Province"

Now Mr Mishina has completed the polish it will be very interesting to hear what the NBTHK experts have to say. Assessment will take place in Japan this month (September).

I'm not hoping for any particular outcome, I think this is just part of the learning process.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..