Airborne Sarute

Well, for what it's worth, I have had 2 of these "so called" Air Force or Pilot's sarutes.  Both were on Gunto mounted swords. 1 sword was a Showato and the other a "gimei" Tango no Kami Yoshimichi.  Both swords bought back in the 80's and straight from vets.  I would bet money they are authentic but there also may be copies /repros being made - what isn't being repro'd these days and mostly by the Chinese.  Also have a excellent short gunto , absolutely authentic, with a koto Mino? signed blade.  Had seen a short gunto mounted Showato blade back around 1978 but did not realize how scarce they were and offered $100 for it as standard Showato were selling for 2-250$ but the vet declined.  Bought the one I currently have around 1997 but it has a standard cherry blossom sarute.  Of all the old PBS new reels I've seen I've never noticed a pilot with a short gunto but there may have been 1 carried but also have seen them called "tankers" swords.  My guess is they may have been custom ordered according to the owner/wearer.  That's all folks.

tom

it's nice to be important but more important to be nice

• Like 2

We know for a fact paratroopers carried swords. We know that this particular sarute was wartime produced. We know that sword fittings could be custom ordered. What we haven't conclusively proved is that this sarute designated paratrooper use & are not simply patriotic!

• Like 2

We know for a fact paratroopers carried swords. We know that this particular sarute was wartime produced. We know that sword fittings could be custom ordered. What we haven't conclusively proved is that this sarute designated paratrooper use & are not simply patriotic!

I like your summary of the situation Jareth.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got one! Came on a ‘39 Mantetsu in combat saya! Looks old and worn fitting the wear on the entire piece. Sarute isn’t painted like the rest of the fittings, which says to me that it was made by a different shop and added by the koshirae shop or the officer after purchase.

attachicon.gif237EA680-D1DE-468F-9A08-0D03D7F831D7.jpegattachicon.gifDA20C037-D5B4-4FBC-92B4-37B17BDF43C9.jpegattachicon.gif25C0C77F-7959-46DA-91F8-E12FEF562D2F.jpeg

Looks like the Mon was removed.
  • Like 1

Looks like the Mon was removed.

I have heard/read that some guys did that before turning their swords in at the end of the war, and it was my first thought too, but the hole is on BOTH sides of the kabutogane.

Neil - I know I've seen this before. Is it you that has a similar kabuto with holes?

post-3487-0-83477100-1586543446_thumb.jpegpost-3487-0-04349800-1586543456_thumb.jpeg

I have heard/read that some guys did that before turning their swords in at the end of the war, and it was my first thought too, but the hole is on BOTH sides of the kabutogane.

Neil - I know I've seen this before. Is it you that has a similar kabuto with holes?

attachicon.gifimage3.jpegattachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

It's definitely where a Mon used to be, they were attached with a pin through the Kabutogane like you see on yours then brazed/peened on the inside before assembly.

Ok Bruce, at great expense, I investigated a mon for you by pulling one apart. For comparison...... Compared to yours.

Your hole is much lower than a mon hole.

Your hole is much bigger than my hole.

My securing pin is the size of a thumb tack. 

Yours was never soldered in place. That's why I am comparing it to a push fit type.

But saying all that, different makers could do different things.

Now I gotta repair my sword, things I do for the NMB! 

post-3858-0-28688300-1586576384_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-40656800-1586576398_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-29944400-1586576410_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

"No greater love..." Neil, "than a guy who lays down his Kai for his friends"! I think I read that verse somewhere?

I scanned the Mon thread and there are some with mon much lower than yours. But it still doesn't make sense that the holes are on both sides. I'm sure I haven't seen a kabutogane with mon on both sides, have you?

{but I fear we're side-tracking this great thread}

• Like 1

They weren't cut away in Thomas' example, though. Differences with Thomas' and mine - his was punched in for the "pin" where mine looks drilled (though Neil's looks drilled, too).

Differences in methods are easily explained by different shops, different techniques. But my key problem is the holes are on both sides of the kabutogane.

post-3879-0-71753600-1586625350_thumb.jpg

On this example it doesn't look like the bottom blossom has been replaced. As for a hole on both sides, is there any examples of Gunto with more than 1 type of mon on it? I do recall examples with multiple mons on it, but I can't remember if they were all the same or not. In a previous thread I think I remember seeing them in some unique places. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks

Matt

EAA084D4-09A6-4997-9FCE-8F4A04B0C312_1586527338779.jpg

On this example it doesn't look like the bottom blossom has been replaced. As for a hole on both sides, is there any examples of Gunto with more than 1 type of mon on it? I do recall examples with multiple mons on it, but I can't remember if they were all the same or not. In a previous thread I think I remember seeing them in some unique places. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks

Matt

Matt! That’s exactly in the right place as the one I have.

Propaganda film, but wartime in date...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqbOSmM9LCY

Propaganda movie/pics...you might be right Dave..could this be another example of us westerners 'inventing' things (Type O, 3, 44 etc)...I think we need proof that they jumped out of planes wearing swords....Nick?

Propaganda movie/pics...you might be right Dave..could this be another example of us westerners 'inventing' things (Type O, 3, 44 etc)...I think we need proof that they jumped out of planes wearing swords....Nick?

The point of the film, is that the Japanese audience believed that Para's jumped with swords, and the Japanese authorities wanted the audience to believe. Personally, I think they did, but that does not mean they all had a bespoke sarute or a special sword.

I agree with the propaganda aspect of the film plus the culture of the sword. I had read at least two references that once pilots entered their planes & photos were over the pilots handed their swords back to mechanics etc. I believe paratroopers, based on the patriotic film footage had their swords with them but uncertain if they actually jumped with them lose, or where they secured in drop leg bag or in mass inside a drop container

• 3 years later...