My Shin Gunto From November 1943

Old dog

Hello fellow members,

I have finally had time to take some pictures of my sword and am posting here to share. As I mentioned when I first sought help in identifying the smith who made this sword, it is my first sword. I have had my eyes on a much older sword for may years, but I have had this one come home to me. 

I will someday be able to take better photos I hope, but for now these will have to do. I envy those who can get the focus and lighting come together.

There are Nagoya arsenal stamps on the sword and the tsuba and knowledgeable board members have said that it was made by Hiromitsu in November 1943 although another name I was given by a non-member was "Yukari" but that appears to be a mis-translation. Anyhow I am very pleased with the sword and hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Geoff K.

post-4335-0-81093900-1520041701_thumb.jpg post-4335-0-41390000-1520041674_thumb.jpg post-4335-0-32298000-1520041638_thumb.jpg post-4335-0-13359100-1520041602_thumb.jpg post-4335-0-36624000-1520041522_thumb.jpg post-4335-0-94147500-1520041490_thumb.jpg post-4335-0-76253800-1520041468_thumb.jpg post-4335-0-21943300-1520041125_thumb.jpg

Yes, you have an excellent gunto for your first one! The Contengency style almost always come with good looking blades. I'm guessing the plasticized note is the translation of the surrender tag? If not, there are guys who can translate that for you.

Are the fuchi (end cap of handle) and retention peg & screw missing?

Thank you all for the very encouraging remarks. Bruce, you are correct, the note is the translation for the wooden tag. I have the fuchi and the peg and a screw, although the screw was not attached to anything and the retaining lever is broken. The tsuba is plain iron and also has a Nagoya stamp on it. All parts are there except for the tassel ring (?) which would have been on the Kashira, as far as I can tell.

The sword that calls to me is a war trophy brought home from Java by the father of family friends attributed to a smith named Nori Taka. For 25 years they have said "no" to selling it to me, but they have my number, so maybe some day.

Ah, thank you so much for that information. Very helpful.

You aren't on the West Coast of Canada by any chance are you? You remind me of a fellow I met on Vancouver Island when I was trying to buy a sword and was looking for information.

Thanks again.

Geoff K.

• Like 1

Ah, thank you so much for that information. Very helpful.

You aren't on the West Coast of Canada by any chance are you? You remind me of a fellow I met on Vancouver Island when I was trying to buy a sword and was looking for information.

Thanks again.

Geoff K.

If that was addressed to me,... I live in Leeds, (UK) 30 mins away from the Royal Armouries. Where we meet, last Thursday of every month except December

Hi Dave,

Well that definitely was not you then... you have a Canadian twin.

I was in the UK in September and visited a small military museum in Dorchester where they had a good assortment of trophies from the pacific theater due to the regiment's engagements.

Next time I am in the UK I will try to make it to Leeds and a meeting when on my way up to Edinburgh.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..