Japanese Sword Age Help.

hbaubele

what would a good price for this sword? the buyer i asking $800. and i am wondering if i was to sell it how much i could get for it? and your saying the blade was made in the 1600's?

You can do a quick scan on fleabay and get a feel for pricing. 800 USD seems to be on the lower end of current officer gunto. I'd say 800-1,200 is the current range. So with a good re-wrap, you should be able to re-sell and make a small proffit, denpending upon how much you had to pay for the re-wrap.

Hbaubele,

what is your name please?

The photos are not sufficient to make a clear and reliable assessment. You need to show the blade to an expert, perhaps on a Japanese sword show. The value has not much to do with the age, so a good blade made 1950 may be much higher in price than a lesser blade from 1550. Japanese blades are a difficult subject, and condition, provenience and quality have a great impact on value.

If the blade in question is traditionally made and without fatal flaws, $ 800.-- do not seem expensive.

what would a good price for this sword? the buyer i asking $800. and i am wondering if i was to sell it how much i could get for it? and your saying the blade was made in the 1600's?

Hbaubele,

what is your name please?

The photos are not sufficient to make a clear and reliable assessment. You need to show the blade to an expert, perhaps on a Japanese sword show. The value has not much to do with the age, so a good blade made 1950 may be much higher in price than a lesser blade from 1550. Japanese blades are a difficult subject, and condition, provenience and quality have a great impact on value.

If the blade in question is traditionally made and without fatal flaws, $ 800.-- do not seem expensive.

Jean i think a blade forged 1950 in Japan has a big value. My knowledge is that it was forbidden to forge swords by the US military government from 1945 - 1953.

50_80$...really??? You will devalue the sword fast!!

nothing like a cheap wrap to get a pass on your sale.

Depends on if that is the price of the Ito, and you do the wrap yourself.... Silk Ito costs about that for a gunto length tsuka.

Anything you do yourself will only result in lessening the value of the sword. A professional rewrap using Japanese silk will run a couple hundred dollars and will add value. This is a very nice sword and for the price given your are doing very well.

• Like 1

Cotton is mostly a bad decision. In moist conditions, cotton TSUKA ITO has a tendency to swell up and thus become loose. You don't appreciate that in battle situations. Cotton is cheap and may work for only decorative purposes.

• Like 2

Jean maybe we talk different. We speak about the ito of gunto swords. I don't think that Japan had the ressources to fit every war produced sword with expensive silk ito.

Maybe someone is confound high quality Japanese cotton with silk?

Pure Silk is rare and the product of a caterpiller not a mass product.

Hello,

Chris, some of the tsuka-ito on shin-gunto are silk.I have attached a picture of a 23rd generation Kanefusa that I recently sold with a silk wrap.The sword is original as is the tsuka-ito.Even though it is intact it is very fragile..maybe that is why there are so many swords around with them missing ? The sword in question is pre 1942 with a showa stamp..All of the gunto I have with a nice and complete hilt wrapping are of cotton. The silk ones I have had in the past have all been very fragile due to  as you correctly mentioned their organic make up.

Regards,

Paul..

post-1225-0-73799300-1519999452_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..