Samurai Art Expo Utrecht

It would have been great to see you there. You could have had a closer look at the Aoe blade which caused you to question my parentage nearly 10 years ago :laughing:

I will let you know how it goes and hope to see you in Japan in the not too distant future!

Best Regards

Paul

Everything is booked now and I am looking forward meeting some of you in person.

Extemly happy about the educational program.

So important and  for a novice like myself a great opportunity to learn more.

Thomas

well we're now in to the final count down to the show. I will be heading over mid week to set up for the openning on Friday afternoon.

just a reminder and suggestion for anyone planning to come who has not yet bought tickets you can save some money by buying tickets on line rather than at the door which means you will have more available to buy me tea, coffee or beer :)

very much looking forward to meeting NMB members during the event make sure you come up and say hello to the frazzled white haired guy jibbering in the corner (that'll be me!!)

• Like 1

Well, that is why you should have come. There were at least 10 Juyo swords (between display exhibition and dealers) and a couple of TokuJo and probably 8-10 suits of armour at the dealers, scores of menpo, probably 20 kabuto etc

Woulda, shoulda, coulda...Although I knew there were some quality dealers in attendance, I decided not to go because there was absolutely nothing on armour scheduled for the formal curriculum. I know that Luc attended, so perhaps there might be an opportunity for collaboration with the Japanese Armor Society for future editions.

Actually, the timing was bad. I'm in Europe at the end of the month and will extend that trip to catch our first JAS study meeting to take place in Brussels, with a focus on koboshi kabuto.

The expo was great, I really enjoyed it. Not at least because I met a bunch of interesting people.

Our Japanese Armor Society member Mark Radburn gave a nice presentation about Higo koshirae.... this was new to me.

Prof. Eckhard Kremers introduced me into the wonderfull world of Heian to Muromachi tsuba.

post-2074-0-71024000-1529179570_thumb.jpeg

post-2074-0-03365000-1529179756_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

A few pictures with Dave, Paul B. And his wife and a few others (The Italian Squadra), Zenon V. ...Nick Ricupero and my stomach, a Friend who is a French dealer with fantastic prices and a few swords Tokuju Bizen, juyo Ko Bizen, Juyo Yoshioka... I have studied in hand an Awataguchi daito, a ko Enju, a Shikkake Juyo, a chu Aoe juyo, a yoshioka ichimonji juyo. Nick had a mumei Oei sword which should have passed juyo were it not mumei. One of the best in show. My friend Patrice had a fantastic sue Bizen Sukesada moroha tanto for 3k€ ubu one mekugi ana as new...

49C7FCED-A7AE-47C6-96F4-DE5A94537170.jpeg

AC307C87-E80F-4DE1-A9C6-A2B37D718E90.jpeg

B0B6108D-2165-48FF-B29E-DA46C2D9D8F2.jpeg

8B8DC756-95E2-4201-A080-679728729B99.jpeg

D9D0E857-4A4B-43DD-AB92-818461019C4D.jpeg

44A2C0AD-F606-476A-9EC2-124EF93B1227.jpeg

E85CB968-FBA5-4789-BDF3-C6444A78907C.jpeg

6099E6FF-2438-4401-978B-C8814DDCA89E.jpeg

B375711F-8A96-4875-A243-0CBEAE976DAC.jpeg

FCB6E5FA-1668-498B-8195-C1A723FC57C3.jpeg

• Like 9

Sorry for NMB members who could not attend, they missed something: katchu, mempo, kabuto, juyo and above all other members frienship, my friend Rokujuro and Jussi also were there with whom I had lengthy discussions.... Do not miss the next one :)

• Like 6

Patrice also had a nice mumei FK, with incredible detail. Seriously tempting.

All in all a very nice experience that will energize the EU collector community.

A big thank you to Paul and Eckhard for arranging all the interesting presentations. Paul, you can be sure that no questions went unanswered!

A great event to rekindle old friendships and make new ones!

• Like 3

Gents, it was awesome. A mini DTI if you like and something that we need so badly in the west.

A massive thank you to the organisers for braving such an event and making it so professional and to all the dealers who travelled from far and wide to be there with some excellent items. The expo had it all from Katchu to Nihonto.

Also how wonderful it was to meet members of the NMB board in person (have some drinks etc).

I really hope that there will be another and that it gains the exposure and attendance that it truly deserves.

35541627_10155414874392190_2211949041233

• Like 3

Well, Dave, I also hope that this will be a recurrent event. But we need people to turn up and attend. Not complain or explain why they did not come.

The 100-150 people who turned up did enjoy it indeed. And were treated to the topmost in quality and variety. But the event was set up with grandeur and ambition for many hundreds, if not thousands - the halls could definitely accommodate that. So, we in the different organisations (NBTHK EB, ToKen GB, Italian ToKen, French collectors, Nordic societies, etc) should actually explain why this is a symbiotic relationship - such events cannot happen (dealers will just not bother) if members do not attend.

• Like 3

On the French side, apart Patrice with his stand, we were three from the French token - the President Daniel Gony, Franz Baldauff who has spent years in Japan, fluent in Japanese and has published books and myself (wearing equally NMB badge).

I think that this question will be clearly discussed during our next meeting. Where were all the French members, those who go to DTI? I’ll bet some of them will say it was fathers’day... :( one tenth of our total members.... I am, for the least, disappointed.

The lectures were fantastic and given by the top of European experts.

Do we have to forget any idea of a European DTI?

Will it has to be, as the French expo Daimyos, a Museum exhibition with private collections coupled with a symposium?

• Like 3

I know how much goes into the planning of these events, so it's too bad that the attendance wasn't as expected or hoped for. One would have thought that with the centrality of the location and the existence of such an efficient intra-European rail system and cheap flights, that there would have been more of an effort made by nihonto and katchu-philes to attend.

• Like 1

Fantastic event and friends, thanks to the organizers!

Very interesting conferences and at the same time understandable to everyone. Shops from all over the world with good items at fair prices. A session of kantei quite difficult for me, only one minute available to see the blades, but it was very stimulating. And finally, dinner and beer with friends. What do you want more?

Thanks again from the Italian members

post-2838-0-80559900-1529310925_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..