Wwii Ijn/ija Gendaito Gunto

Corry

Hi all,

I am getting back to my first love, WWII Japanese swords. I already have two semi-traditionally mage officers Gunto's. My question is what would a nice quality (Showa) Gendaito in type 1 or two gunto mounts run (low to reasonably high quality, not associated with a famous person..just a nicely well taken care of gendai?)

Here are a couple of pics of showa semi-traditiopnally made guntos, but now I need a gandaito! :)

post-3817-0-10446700-1519107417_thumb.jpg

post-3817-0-62024400-1519107440_thumb.jpg

post-3817-0-64690900-1519107465_thumb.jpg

post-3817-0-35642600-1519107498_thumb.jpg

John is correct, when I started collecting you could pick up a nice IJA/IJN sword in good mounts with a good blade for a thousand bucks, nowadays the same thing in polish would be $3000 and rising. A good EMURA in polish could cost you four grand these days.

There was a thread recently, ARE GUNTOS A GOOD INVESTMENT, they are, and as Steve points out, the better the blade, the higher the price.

Price is being driven by collectors now realising how great they are and their scarcity.

Gendaito are often very healthy. In good condition you can see all the fine forging arts from the old times. As Neil said they are high collectible. Dont forget the Nagamitsu blades that often compared with kamakura blades. I love these swords and I'm proud to have some gendaito in my collection. Raymond Singer has allways some good gendaito in stock. Ask him I'm sure he can help you to find one for a nice price.

Gendaito , especially those made during the war, come in various qualities.  The best are the special orders etc. That's why if you look at Slough's book,   Smiths are said to make swords (for example),  medium to high level .  One would expect the medium level swords, would more or less be knockouts for the war (always exceptions with Japanese swords) and the High Level, to be special order/ dedication swords (again, always with exceptions).   Even today, smiths make different level of swords, ie.  Martials arts quality as opposed to order made.

• Like 3

David special order blades with more kanji then name and date have a special price. I think Durrell will be happy to get a nice true gendaito for a good price. Talking about Okimasa & Co made for example the genyosha is worth to talk in another thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..