Hiring Translator

svarsh

Thanks. Markus is a too high authority. I would like to find somebody of lesser caliber.

i have found Markus' price to be quite reasonable for the quality.  You are asking for a very specific set of skills, a set of skills that Markus has.  Why not use Google translate, then if his rate is the problem

Thanks. Markus is a too high authority. I would like to find somebody of lesser caliber.

You'll have plenty of choice there then! :)

If you need help from time to time I don't mind doing that, in as far as I can, - maybe for the price of a small donation to NMB. But if you are basing a decision to spend money on the results or you need stuff that is time critical then you are better off looking elsewhere. There are way better linguists on the board than me. 

Feel free to drop me a PM if you don't get a better offer.

• Like 5

i have found Markus' price to be quite reasonable for the quality.  You are asking for a very specific set of skills, a set of skills that Markus has.  Why not use Google translate, then if his rate is the problem

I don't mind the price, I just do not want to bother somebody of his standing. Google translate does not translate hand written signatures of Edo period Japanese.

With the recent passing of on of the community's longtime translators, it leaves Markus far and away the best choice.

You'll find others capable, but -given the subject material-,  the results will come a little out gobbledygook.

Even native spearkers without the adequate knowledge in the subject area will make mistakes with some of the character, as Fukushi Shigeo admits in Akasaka section Tosogu Classroom Vol. 1 [a super fine Markus translation!].

So consider that a double plug for Markus and for the Tosogu Classroom Volumes.

I can't wait for Vol 2 to show up, as it makes for a nice read on the beach here.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..