Help With Old Sword Please

drb 1643

Hi all, I'm a relatively new member and am hoping the members here might be able to help me. I recently picked up this sword that was sitting in a basement for many years, and as you can see in the pictures has condition issues. Can someone please help with the age and translation of the tang and saya? Also it it worth restoration? I will be extremely grateful for any comments and advice.

Thank you all very much,

Tom

post-4025-0-64102900-1517770197_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-79347300-1517770215_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-54668500-1517770234_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-21838600-1517770277_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-74352200-1517770296_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-18636200-1517770321_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-17114600-1517770339_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-05492700-1517770356_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-26446600-1517770368_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-22878100-1517770396_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-26112900-1517770413_thumb.jpg

post-4025-0-77189100-1517770432_thumb.jpg

I can't read it either, though that means little.  The kinpunmei and the sayagaki appear to say the same.  There is a sizable ware on the blade, leading me to think that it is unlikely to be worthy of restoration.  It is, after all, a mumei wakizashi.  If you are really eager to get a translation, and none of the NMB members who read grass script can translate for you, you could hire Markus Sesko to translate it and that might help a bit with the decision.  

Hi Tom,

Here comes the hail Mary:

伯耆? 廣賀

Hoki ? Hiroyoshi

There were a bunch of guys signing like this working from the mid 15th to the mid 17th centuries so it might be one of the koto smiths as per John's post. 

Just to emphasise, this is a very long shot and, even if I've read this accurately which I seriously doubt, the value of kinpun mei is dependent on the knowledge and bona fides of the guy doing the writing.

The examples of nakago jiri that I've been able to find don't match this they are more kurijiri but I'm not sure that the one on this sword is necessarily original as it has clearly been shortened at some point and the closeness of a couple of mekugi ana might suggest that adjustments have been made to make it fit a koshirae rather than the other way around. 

There is, however, a slight curvature to the ha side of the nakago though, which seems to be present on the original part of the tang on Tom's sword. I've added a couple of examples, though it's a small group so maybe not representative.

I'm not sure if this adds up to anything other than get a better opinion than mine. 

Maybe someone at the New York sword society can help - perhaps not too far from where you are in New Jersey.

Good luck and let us know the outcome,

John

post-1332-0-49680300-1517836575_thumb.jpg

Hello Tom,

to answer your question regarding restoration: I voite for no. The blade looks late Koto or Shinto, is basically unsigned but Machi Okuri (cuting edge moved up somewhat). Despite there are some flaws in the blade. I am afraid you would be buried when getting it restored. I agree to possibly Kaga. If you put taht thing up on eBay the gold Mei will trigger a lot of treasure hunters and it would be a much wiser choice then getting it restored (from an economical point of view).

Best regards

Hi all, I really appreciate everyone's expertise and advice as I am a novice at this game. As far as restoration the blade is 19" long, can someone please give me an approximation as to cost for such a service? It does appear to have a nice hamon under all those "scratches"!

Again thank you all very much,

Tom

With most professional polishers you should expect USD 80 to USD 120 per inch ... in my humble oppinion putting this kind of money into that sword is not appropriate. But you be the judge. The scratches will easily go away ... all the openings you allready see won't but they will likely widen and you may get new ones as a bonus ... There is one area in the sword that is really bad and the overall amount of Kizu is not what someone would want. You will find solid papered Wakizashi in full polish here for sale that are by really good smithes at under 3000 USD. Your blade has severe issues. So if money doesn't matter and you just like the sword go ahead. If you want to be able to reclaim your investment you do not wish to get this polished. People should not get polished Mumei Wakizashi in general unless they are something special.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..