Paul Martin

I was emailing Paul about sending a sword to Japan and he let me know about his latest achievement

In case you haven't heard. I won the NBTHK (Tokyo Branch) new year ippon nyusatsu Kantei competition in January. It is the second time I have won. I have taken seconds and thirds on several occasions in the past. The Tokyo Shibu New Year Kantei Kai is one of the two most major Kantei comps on the yearly calendar. The other one being at the sword museum itself. The event was attended by people from all over Japan, I think there was about 80 participants.

I was also made a Trustee of the Nihonto Bunka Shinko Kyokai (NBSK), and an article of mine on my monthly column for Japan-Forward (Sankei News Group) was their most read of 2017. 

He just keeps getting better
Grev

• Like 6

Paul wrote a little kantei book that is quite useful. It fits in your pocket. It is called:

The Japanese SwordGuide to Nyusatsu Kantei : Koto, Shinto Dozen List Publisher Paul Martin, 2010 ISBN 1596030267, 9781596030268 Length 48 pages

I did not see it available on his facebook page.

• Like 4

Paul contacted me and let me know that there is an update in the works for the book. The book is currently unavailable. I will let you know when I know that the new version has been released.

Does he have some paranoid fear of posting here himself?

Paul...find 30 seconds to post occasionally. Considering the commercial advantages, would be nice to hear from you occasionally. ;-)

• Like 1

I think he has obviously adapted the Japanese way of not putting himself on a pedestal. :) like said, he is a star and a good example what anyone can do with enough will and hard work. Wish I had enough to achieve what he has!

Keep up the good work Paul-sama and inspire the rest of us!

-Antti

I know him from the very beginning when had just left his work in Great Britain and have collabirated for the traslation in intalian of his poket book on kantei. He made me moderator of his FB on nihonto but life ain't fair and I was forced to almost abruptly cut all relationship with him. Years that I don't read by him. Paul if you read these lines come back, even occasionally. You'll be most welcomed.

Same for me on the French side. I translated his book in French and distributed it. Was in close contact with Carlo and am still a moderator on his Facebook page on Nihonto. I have seen him at The last DTI I attended and had lunch with him and Sly last time he was in Paris. He still is a dear friend...:)

Can only echo what just about everyone here has said. Paul will go out of his way to help you, is very knowledgeable on the subject and an utter gentleman - you'd be very hard pressed to find a better contact in JP for restoration, shinsa,.... 

The best! Not only is he representing a foreigner in a very closed society in Japan but he conducts himself with honour and courtesy. I'm working with him now on many projects and his determination and care for his clients is second to none. He is simply excellent with advice and finding a way to make our visions a reality as collectors and practitioners.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..