Advice On Buying For A Newbie

mareo1912

Hey guys,

so this time for real a blade that I like. There's also a very nice koshirae with it but I know a lot more about tosogu than on nihonto themselves. 

My thought is of course for the signature, also the to me strange seeming file marks on the nakago. Sadly the blade has the green paper virus.

Any help and opinion is highly welcome,

Marco

post-4084-0-49058500-1516392990_thumb.png

post-4084-0-60486800-1516392997_thumb.png

post-4084-0-95013100-1516393003_thumb.png

post-4084-0-63322400-1516393012_thumb.png

post-4084-0-98069100-1516393017_thumb.png

post-4084-0-05132400-1516393026_thumb.png

post-4084-0-06247800-1516393034_thumb.png

Hello:

If you could rotate the images of the nakago so a trip to the chiropractor isn't needed I'd appreciate it. At first glance it looks promising and there is no such thing as the green paper virus, at least in the enthusiastic sense that would call for burning them all up! I wonder if even 1% are wrong?

Arnold

• Like 3

Hey guys,

so this time for real a blade that I like. There's also a very nice koshirae with it but I know a lot more about tosogu than on nihonto themselves. 

My thought is of course for the signature, also the to me strange seeming file marks on the nakago. Sadly the blade has the green paper virus.

Any help and opinion is highly welcome,

Marco

Hello Marco,

if you do not mind the hadaware in the hamon, go for it if you like it and the price is ok for you. The name is a "big name" in Osafune, so consider it gimei, when judging the price.

Concerning "strange file marks": it is hard to make out, since the pics do not show the full length of the nakago, but observed in the full blade pic. I guess I can see a "machiokuri-job" e.g. the machi moved up and therefore new horizontal filemarks added to the otherwise older looking nakago surface.

Maybe it is a matter of the (black and white?) fotos, but the kanji look "sharp" considering the overal weathering of the nakago. Needs futher study ;-)

Greetings

Andreas

• Like 1

Someone make a Post It note:

- Only buy 1st or even 2nd sword from a known dealer (or NMB For Sale section) that has been doing this a long time

- Even at low price range, papered, trusted blades can be found

- STOP responding to deals that sound too amazing to be true by private contacts, if it was a great deal, they would advertise it

- Consider for real what the price of restoration is for blades that have serious issues. Time and price (year or more, big bucks)

- Ask before you buy something. Too late if you already have it in hand

Ok, I am done.

• Like 7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..