Second Sword

0331_usmc

Just noticed the tiger striped shirasaya, very nice! I have an Ishido school katana with a very similar tiger striped shirasaya. I don’t know what it is about thy type of grain pattern, but I’ve always found it extremely attractive. I have an M14 that also has tiger striped wood. Can’t get enough of the stuff. ????????????

• Like 1

Just noticed the tiger striped shirasaya, very nice! I have an Ishido school katana with a very similar tiger striped shirasaya. I don’t know what it is about thy type of grain pattern, but I’ve always found it extremely attractive. I have an M14 that also has tiger striped wood. Can’t get enough of the stuff.

I too like the striped pattern.  I don't know what the Japanese would call it, but patterns in the wood grain like that are figures and that particular one in the shirasaya is curl.  I happened to have so curly hard maple around that I used to make the sword stand in the photographs.

And Stephen, you're a big guy.  That M14 is tiny in your hands. 

I feel like a reality, especially for new collectors, is to find a budget and then maximize your return with goals.  I wanted a papered and polished sword within my budget and at this time it limited me to a wakizashi.  While I wasn't necessarily looking for an Ishido blade, this particular sword allowed me to met all of these goals and at the same time spoke to me.  So, perhaps next time I will be able to meet some further desires that I have such as a Katana, signed, papered and with koshirae. I suspect the joy of obtaining a sword never diminishes no matter how extensive the collection.  It is my hope that I will be able to attend the Chicago sword show, I hear it's a good time and an excellent chance to learn. 

• Like 1

I feel like a reality, especially for new collectors, is to find a budget and then maximize your return with goals.  I wanted a papered and polished sword within my budget and at this time it limited me to a wakizashi.  While I wasn't necessarily looking for an Ishido blade, this particular sword allowed me to met all of these goals and at the same time spoke to me.  So, perhaps next time I will be able to meet some further desires that I have such as a Katana, signed, papered and with koshirae. I suspect the joy of obtaining a sword never diminishes no matter how extensive the collection.  It is my hope that I will be able to attend the Chicago sword show, I hear it's a good time and an excellent chance to learn. 

You did really good in my opinion, Ishido swords are wildly cool and bought from a member here.

Koshirae is nice, but get the best sword you can. You will store it that way anyway. A great sword in polish in shirasaya beats others that fall short. 

• Like 1

Well done Tony if all first swords were done with that much thought.

BTW  what area of Iowa?

Thanks, I'm in West Des Moines

You did really good in my opinion, Ishido swords are wildly cool and bought from a member here.

Koshirae is nice, but get the best sword you can. You will store it that way anyway. A great sword in polish in shirasaya beats others that fall short. 

Absolutely, while the fittings can be very cool themselves, nothing beats a good blade.  I really like you saying "get the best sword you can".  It makes me think about having the patience to wait and hunt for that sword that gives you what your looking for.

Over here we call that striped timber fiddleback. It is usually formed at the base of a largish tree that has some weight in it and over the many years compesses the timber at the base in a wave pattern giving that tiger stripe look when dressed. 

Chris D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..