Sword In Market

Jon MB

Jon,

Thank you for this thread. It is great fun and has provided an opportunity for those of us so inclined to crack wise. Beyond that, I think this thread exactly presents an important aspect of "Non-Japanese Japanese sword Collecting".

In Japan, if a person wants to collect swords he joins a group and visits dealers. Those sources guide a newbie into the topic. "Japanese" collectors, thus, learn to use the well-organized information.

Outside of Japan, Japanese swords are presented in a much more chaotic nature. Due to the way Japanese swords have traveled internationally, great blades can end up right next to painted crosscut saws. "Non-Japanese Japanese sword collectors" have had to learn to deal with this complexity. We had to learn where dealers might put Japanese swords, and how they would be treated and valued. To do that we also had to learn about things like painted saw blades. (And actually, I mentioned the saw because I was really interested in the GREAT rapier blade. I suspect that that was the "bargain" on this table, But Stephan already made that observation.)

That old style Japanese sword collecting is passing, but I have to admit that I still love 1) the complexity of the old stuff market, and 2) the adventure of discovery that is part of "non-Japanese Japanese sword collecting..

Peter

• Like 1

Peter, Stephen, thank you for your comments. Sometimes I want to mention on this site that newbies could benefit from getting used to handling not only old swords, but also antiques in general, to get a feel for  how objects undergo subtle changes as they age and how patina develops, experience that can assist in evaluating swords or fittings in less than mint condition.

Peter, very interesting observations on the Japanese sword world and the distribution of Japanese swords in the rest of the world..

So we like the rapier?...It was $100...

Btw, Diagonally across the swords, in pic 1, is a handy multipurpose narwhal ivory.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..