Safely Posting Or Shipping Swords From The Uk To The Us Or Elsewhere

Hello All,

Look for any helpful tips from those in the UK who are experienced in shipping swords to North America.

-I mean other than through Parcelforce/Fedex....whom I have had mixed experiences with.

My apologies if this  topic has already been covered elsewhere.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon

Parcelforce global priority is your only choice for a long sword in the UK. You definitely can't use Fedex, and that also means you can't use Parcelforce Global Express which is outsourced to Fedex.

If it's a tanto you can use Royal Mail tracked and signed but I would still recommend using Parcelforce.

• Like 1

Hello,

I was advised to put the correct custom code on the item description but avoid the word "sword"....even if that means using : nihonto,tachi,katana etc...This is not to deceive customs but to lessen the chance of theft....Have used this to send swords to the U.S and Germany successfully using parcel force international signed for..Beware of the insurance as "weapon" or "antique" may have ambiguous clauses that prevents them paying out for loss or damage....

Regards,

Paul.

• 10 months later...

A small addition to this thread - which I should have read before I tried to ship from the UK to USA via Parcelforce Global Express. 

I've had the parcel returned to me asking for further details including a VAT number which I couldn't supply as I don't have one, but which was stated as being optional on the form. According to the guy at Parcelforce, FedEx's tracking system requires a VAT number or the package can't be entered into the system, explaining why there was no movement from the receiving depot. 

This isn't the case with Global Priority - so if the matter can't be sorted out between the two carriers, it can be moved over to a different bag and go via a different route.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..