Yamato Daijyo Fujiwara Masanori (Cutting Test)

All,

So after the issue with my last purchase, I exercised the very generous discount offer and purchased the following AOI: 17310 along with some fittings (F16693, F17253, F16698).

My questions for everyone are:

1. What are your thoughts in regards to the cutting test? It was explained to me that the cutting test was likely done by the owner, a samurai, along with his friend to serve as a witness. I was stated to me that the reason for this was likely the high costs associated with such a test. This suggests to me that the owner may not have been the wealthiest guy on the block, but still well known, which may make it possible to narrow down who he was.

2. What koshirae combination do you like the best? I would add a voting widget, but am not sure how.

post-4338-0-87337300-1514151476_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-61581000-1514151477_thumb.jpg

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Best,
James

Hello James,

I had allready replied to you by eMail. The Workmanship in 17310 is better than in 15854... However 15854 is Ubu and 17310 is Suriage. So in the end you have to decide on the precise and your personal taste. With 17310 you have choosen a blade with nice workmanship.

Cutting tests should always be taken with a grain of salt - especially like in your case. You can have a cutting test by a well known tester. This dude would use his Kao and there are records to verifiy if the mei is legitimate. Then we have the test done by some common guy in the street. Those tests can usually neither be verified nor falsified. Hence the NBTHk will  usually just paper them and people literally buy into them with great pleasure - you can testify to the last statement ;(

In this case you should use your common sense and see what the test says. if it says Dude Strong Cut sliced through 5 bodies with this killer Wakizashi ... well then it is likely a fake as Dude Strong Cut and even Steven Segal would have a very hard time to accomplish this. So to make it short: The more modest the inscription the more likely to be true ... the higher and exagerated the claims the less likely to be good. Fake News is a pretty old thing infact ...

Also be suspicious about gold inlayed or just painted test that look to be in excellent condition ... especially the paint jobs are to be regarded as suspicious if in pristine condition.

Luis,

I originally tried to go with your suggestion, but he informed me that the other blade had an active deposit and did not anticipate the deal falling through. This time of year items fly through that website.

The cut test inscription was modest to say the least, which was interesting to me. It was a simple "Wakige zui" with no more details of significant value. The inlay appeared decayed, which I took as a good sign. Based on these facts, the seller believes it is legitimate, but who knows.

Hopefully the blade will "speak" to me when it arrives and all will be good. My wife's Uda Kanifusa blade has a very calm feeling and I am hoping for the same in this one. I hope that doesn't sound crazy.

I appreciate everyone thoughts on these matters. I collect, but my collection has been based on what feels right rather than the technical aspects. I am trying to learn more about the technicalities, which is one reason why I am here. :)

Best,

James

Hello James,

since it does not sound crazy to me at all you should reconsider your point! ... no, to be serious: I fully understand you and couldn't agree more! Blades have a certain feeling to them and if it feels good you can not ask for more!

Teh balde you choose has the better workmanship. being suriage just hurts the value not the quality of the work. So enjoy!

If the test is modest you should have confidence in it. We just need to be suspicious where a story gets to fabulous to be true.

Hope you will enjoy your sword ... I don't know whom you plan on using for your Koshirae building but I can recommend Randy B. within the USA. Very good work at excellent prices ... I'm happy to give you his contact data by personal message.

This the sword https://www.aoijapan.com/katana-yamato-daijyo-fujiwara-masanori-cutting-test

Page 275 of Tameshigiri, by Markus.  Sword tester by the name of Hattori Kan, emon.

Its my understanding that NBTHK wont give a sword Hozen if they think a cutting test is fake, but what do I know.

I looked at this sword a while ago, got the impression the gold was gone and someone had splashed in some gold colour, but that's something you would need to confirm with the Aoi. Not the end of the world in my humble opinion, if you want a Katana with a cutting test with all the bells and whistles, they don't come cheap.

Main thing is the sword though, obviously.

Its my understanding that NBTHK wont give a sword Hozen if they think a cutting test is fake, but what do I know.

Hello Alex,

well if it can be falsified one has to consider it legit. Hence if it is a cutting test signed by some common guy in the street on whom there is no record it will always pass,

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..