Now For The Really Interesting One ...

... this Nobukuni had very high potential in my cheap oppinion:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/Japanese-katana-sword-shin-shinto-no-kuni-93-c-08941289a8

Also very nice mounts. Unfortunately someone had deeper pockets than I do. 10k includibg oremium and given it was not in good polish is a tough call for a treasure hunt though but maybe I am just too mean.

No need for the blade ... the Mei tells it all. The description by the auctioneer is complete bogus. That is an apprix 1390 - 1400 Nobukuni and I have no doubt the Mei is good. Still it shows that even a wrongly described item with bad pictures may not be an easy pick up at a bargain price.

This one I really would have had an interest in getting put through Shinsa. There are so many nice things out there in this world. This was even one of the nicer ones.

If anybody here bought it: Congrats and good luck!

I bought that one Luis, and now have it home on my sword stand.  It's a real beauty and I believe that it is Saemonojo Nobukuni, who did work in Oei and is considered a third generation smith (along with his two brothers).  The appraisal was as far off as one can get but it wasn't done by the auctioneer.  The family had had it done in the early 80s.  Cheers, Bob

• Like 2

Hello Ray,

yes you are right that it is a tough call being Suriage / Muromachi. But I believe it has a basic chance given there are no other issues with the blade and that the workmanship keps up to the expectatiomns assoicated with this smith.

I would have no doubt it will pass TBH. Chances of failing Juyo are most probably higher than making it but I would like to think it has some chances - again given it is a competive Shinsa and we don't know what elese is in the competition. I did not come in anywhere close with my bidding to win that blade. If I had deeper pockets I would have loved to take a shot.

The Kodugu on its own seemed marvelous.

Bob, would you ind sharing some images with us please? I notice the Fuchi had been signed. Was the Tsuba also signed? I believed it to be made ensuite by one maker

I am happy to see it has been bought by a member as I was just very curious about it. I wish you all the best with it Bob. A blade I wished would be mine.

Lots of interesting feedback on this one!  I am very happy with it so far.  As to juyo, I have submitted a few so far and no luck.  I have mentioned before my dream of finding a sword in the wild, getting it restored and having it go juyo.  I have three over there now in Mishina San's hands and hope springs eternal...  As to this one, in favor of it is he worked in early Oei, which, though technically muromachi (the hated term in koto it seems), it really has nanbokucho vibe.  It is signed tachi mei and has very nice horimono going for it.  I think that it's biggest attribute is that the Nobukuni mon did not make many katana or tachi at all.  They seemed to be focused on sunnobi tanto for some reason, and were very good at it.  The hada and hamon on this one are both outstanding, in my view, with the latter having a very strong "Rai" feel to it, as it should with Nobukuni emerging from Ryokai who was trained by Rai.  Anyway, if it papers in April, I will probably not be able to resist sending it to Japan for the whole dance.  I don't have any photos that were not on the website other than this one of the tsuba.  It's not world class but is very nice and all of the mounts grace the blade very well.  Cheers, Bob

post-620-0-19903200-1513534894_thumb.jpg

Haha!  Luis, that is the auctioneer's thumb, not mine.  The tsuba is roughly 75mm in each direction. Jeremiah, some might call it courage, others stupidity.  If it doesn't paper, then I'm afraid it is the latter.  If it does paper, then maybe it's good luck.  Chris, I like that tsuba too, and since it is en suite with the F-K, it would be Yokoya work if the signature on the fuchi is good.  The mei on the fuchi is up on the site - I couldn't find a match in my brief search of Haynes and Wakayama, but the work is very good.  Cheers, Bob

• Like 1

Hello Bob,

I really liked what was visible of the Koshirae. Does the Saya also have Kodugu on it? Also please post some images of the blade here. The ones I got from the auction house were pretty poor.

Case you submitt it to the NTHK US Shinsa and it fails you shouldn't be afraid that it is no good. I think buying this sword was just a good move and neither stupid not requiring much courage - only the necessary funds.

Again congrats and hope you enjoy it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..