Nihonto & Fireplaces - A Bad Idea?

Hello Members,

I would like to hear your thoughts on keeping Nihonto in a room with a (closed) fireplace please. A bad idea?

I know that fire will basically work like a boost for rusting metal. Anyboy who has ever looked at wood fired oven will notice this likely.

Now I wonder if it is a smart idea to have Nihonto stored in my living room where we just had a fireplace stove installed. The ake with the blades housed in Koshirae / Shirasaya and storage bags is located about 3m away. Do you see any problems with this setup and an increased possibility of the blades catching rust?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Luis

Luis,

i can tell you i have a old german sword near a open fire. Since 7 years. Nothing happened. But beware that the room will be very very dry. And a koshirae could get damaged.

post-3496-0-47641600-1512845461_thumb.jpg

You must oil the blades, they will be a little static.

More difficult is the TV. The smoke dust go inside the electronic when you let the fire window open. But this is the same effect when you have burn candles near the TV or HiFi.

• Like 2

The fireplace will cause low humidity which should not be a problem for blades. However, it will cause issues (shrinkage) with wood items such as the shirasaya or tsuka. They will possibly crack with too low humidity. Humidity is something that is very much a concern with my acoustic guitars.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..