Sayashi In Europe?

I never heard of him, do you have his website or any contact?

I can't speak to Mike's lacquer work (although I've heard it's very good), however he's made me a shirasaya in the past and it was excellent, at least as good as most I've had from Japan.

• Like 2

I can personally vouch for Mike Hickman Smith. I've studied urushi nuri for years as a Katchushi, but saya needs a higher level of finish. My opinion as a trained Shokunin is that Mile is the leading urushishi in Europe.

Forget Van Dam, Mike is your man.

• Like 3

In support of other comments Mike has done some fantastic work for me and I have seen some exceptional pieces he has completed for others. He has a great talent and his commitment to contunual imporvement is incredible.

A small correction to Michael's remarks on Chiddingstone.: this event was very much Ian's success my own involvement was purely supporting his effort. It was an excellent show! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand you saying Mike is 'over qualified' because his work is excellent. However his fees are really very reasonable. If you're investing in a sword to get a sayashi or koshirae made why not invest in the best? It will last longer, be of better quality, and hold its value. Another vote for Mike Hickman Smith here and a picture of the koshirae he created for me. He's a gent and super reliable.

post-3405-0-37965300-1527989080_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..