What Would You Call This Type Of Hamon?

echizento

Good morning, Chris

When you take a look at image 1 left side you can see, that the hamon is darker than hada. But because of the heating

it should be the other way around. You should see nie/nioi; martensite, a nioiguchi... whatever.

But since I can´t see anything like that I can only repeat myself: no real nihonto.

Uwe G.

Uwe, the blade needs to be polished so the hada is not readily visible and the finer activity in the hamon is also not visible. You say it's not a real nihonto, I must disagree. Given the characteristics, it bares all the signs of a Bizen school blade, The shape of the nakago and the patina, the sori, the shape of the kissaki, and lastly the type of hamon all point to a Bizen school blade most likely Sue-Bizen. These are but a few points that tell me it's a real sword. Granted I have been away from collecting for a few years and that even with my 40 plus years of studying nihonto I any still a novice. But at this point I think I know a real Japanese sword from a cheap fake or Chinese knock off.  

I was think I might buy some nugui polish and do a small window at the ha-machi. I intend to send this for polish at some point so it IMO wouldn't do any damage to the blade. 

I appreciate your comments. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..