Hello from Sweden, your help needed!

Hello,

I wanted to say hello and to introduce myself to your excellent forum. I am in Sweden and I have 3 Japanese swords that have been in my family for many years, one is believed to be 17th century, the reason for joining is that I would like to find out more about these swords, many years ago 2 of the swords were looked at by a friend of the family in England, the conclusion was that one of the swords was a Shinto period Sword in WW2 livery, the other sword was thought to be 20th century, again in WW2 livery, one sword has a leather bound saya, the other one is in a WW2 steel saya, from memory I think that only 2 of the 3 swords are signed, all the swords were hand made, not machine made, I think that the Shinto period sword does not have any writing on it, possibly due to the red rust on the tang, but I am not sure at the moment as I have not taken this sword apart yet, but I remember the rust from years ago when I was a young boy, all of the swords were in good condition, the blades of the two found swords seem to be in good condition with no abuse, these swords are WW2 bring backs and have been in the loft all of their life.

Some years ago I tried in vain to find the makers name and a date for these swords, but I could not read the inscriptions, I have spent yesterday all day trying to read one, but with no joy, so I hope you will not mind if I ask for your opinions on these swords, the last time these swords were taken apart the internet did not even exist. It is one of these moments I guess that if I do not make the effort now to find out about these swords the chances are that they will go back in to the loft for another period of time, only to be forgotten about again. I have found 2 of the 3 swords, the Shinto and the 20th century WW2 sword, I have to look for the 3rd sword, its up there hiding somwhere lol. Let me know if it is ok to upload some pictures and I will have a go later on perhaps over the weekend.

Best regards to all.

Lockesboy.

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum and don't forget to sign all posts with a real name and initial at least.

The sooner you get them identified and start the process of conservation, the better I think. Go ahead and post the pics, and we will assist to the best of our abilities.

Check out the How-to forum for instructions on uploading pics, and making sure they are not too big. Othwise use one of the image uplodd sites. Look forward to seeing them.

Brian

Edit to add: I think we have a few Swedish members here if they are around.

I know there was a Danish website (suspended currently) at http://www.tsunami.dk/ and a Finnish Nihonto forum that has been hacked :doubt: http://www.nihonto.fi/index.html but I don't know of any Swedish sites.

:welcome: To the board, please feel free to post pixs of the blade under Nihonto, if youd like or need a translation we have a section for that also, dont forget per sign up rules to use your first name. have fun im sure we can tell you what you have.

Hi,

Brian/Stephan

Thank you for welcoming me to your board, your help in trying to find out more information about these Swords is really appreciated, I said to my wife yesterday that somebody somewhere would just look at these swords and tell you all about them, unfortunatly this is not my forte and to be honest I dont have a clue.

I will upload to an external Swedish server called Diino, high resolution pictures are no problem and I can upload multiple pictures, saving your web space.

I will try and take photographs of the WW2 Shingunto sword first followed by the Shinto period Sword, and will try and find the missing 3rd Sword later on in the week.

Best regards,

Ian.

Hello Guys!

Lockesboy! You lucky dog!;-) A find every dreams about finding!

I´m sure the more experianced guys here can help you!

Also check out http://www.sharpweaponcenter.com and see if any of the swedish collectors can

help you out!

Good luck! Hope that you will bark on a intersting journey!!

Ps Är inte alls sotis, nej inte ett dugg!;-) Studerar nu nihonto inför stundande japanresa och mitt första inköp!

Hör av dig hur det går!

Stefan

Hello Guys!

Lockesboy! You lucky dog!;-) A find every dreams about finding!

I´m sure the more experianced guys here can help you!

Also check out http://www.sharpweaponcenter.com and see if any of the swedish collectors can

help you out!

Good luck! Hope that you will bark on a intersting journey!!

Ps Är inte alls sotis, nej inte ett dugg!;-) Studerar nu nihonto inför stundande japanresa och mitt första inköp!

Hör av dig hur det går!

Stefan

Heysan Stefan,

jag ar in Skelleftea, var ar du!

Ian.

Hi,

I have uploaded the pictures to the server, if anyone would like to view would you kindly contact me via pm with your email address and I will forward the activation code and details of how to view the pictures of the 2 swords. note that there are 96 high resolution macro pictures to view, I will also try and assist in any way that I can.

regards,

Ian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..