Another Wwii Bring Back - Looks Real, But Maybe Gunto?

DaveM4P99

I had to check the calendar and make sure it wasn't April first.....

Haha...So I assume this is a very famous signature? And therefore most likely gimei?

Yeah...looking up Masamune now...very famous. The most famous. Haha.

What do you guys think?

The blade looks pretty nice, even if the mei is fake.

It is difficult to evaluate considering the damaged state of the nakago and removed patina. It is also questionable whether the mei is good. My off-the-cuff impression is that this might be a Sue-Bizen, late Muromachi kazuchimono with a spurious mei.

OK nice thanks for the info! Definitely an interesting find either way I assume.

Dave,

the age is not so important, but quality is. Your blade has a bad FUKURE (blister) under the HABAKI which lets me believe it has been shortened to hide this KIZU. This means that the value of the blade will be considered quite low among collectors.

Thanks for the analysis!

Yes - understood it is all about quality - and this blade has some big flaws.

But I am also trying to determine the history of the blade, more than the value.

My impression is that this sword is ubu, and that the kizu reflects that the sword is of lower quality. The sori, shape of the nakago, etc point to me in the direction of a kazuuchimono (mass-produced) blade from the late Muromachi Sue-Bizen group. The tachi mei of Masaie was probably intended to pass off the sword as an earlier tachi by the Ko-Mihara smith.

My impression is that this sword is ubu, and that the kizu reflects that the sword is of lower quality. The sori, shape of the nakago, etc point to me in the direction of a kazuuchimono (mass-produced) blade from the late Muromachi Sue-Bizen group. The tachi mei of Masaie was probably intended to pass off the sword as an earlier tachi by the Ko-Mihara smith.

Wow thank you for the analysis! Great thoughts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..