Kunitsugu 4Th Generation ?

sil

Hi,

Research so far has the maker as Kunitsugu (4th generation) and date as made in the Bunmei 17 (1485).  I believe Kunitsugu was a late Muromachi period smith within the Uda School in Etchu. Can't seem to find much on him though. Can anyone assist with some more detailed information ?

Sil

post-913-0-17906900-1510810573_thumb.jpg

post-913-0-66801400-1510810611_thumb.jpg

Hi Sil, Is that your first name ? Had a quick look one of the other guys may have better references this is what I got :)
Hawley list KUN1473 as 2nd generation.
Fujishiros K310 does not look like a good match
looks like they got the info from Nihonto Club  as they list it as
Kunitsugu (4th gen) but does not match
So, the rare nakamura samurai Sword needs more research ;-)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. Yes, Sil is my first name. I agree that the Nihonto Club provided the most likely source. If the reading of the date on the tang is correct then 4th Generation Kunitsugu fits nicely (1469 - 1487). I believe 2nd generation is (1384 - 1387). Do you have an opinion on the sword date ?

Sil

Hi Sil,IMHO, I think I would take the view that it could be gimei ? or by a different smith  have a look at the Oshigata for the 4th from koto meikan and fujishiros K310 does not look like a good match so had a look at 3rd or 5th also no good have a look at some of the kanji eg, kuni is done with small differences that don't match the Oshigata for all of them and you can see differences in the other kanji hope that helps    :)

post-893-0-80496400-1510904756_thumb.png

post-893-0-58276100-1510904810_thumb.png

post-893-0-05059900-1510905972_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the Oshigata. Very helpful but I must admit to struggling to see the subtle differences between the 4th generation you posted and mine. I have posted another photo I took for comparison. Will spend a bit more time investigating over the weekend.

Really appreciate your input.

Sil

post-913-0-27735400-1510972423_thumb.jpg

Hi Sil,

Have a look at the strokes inside the kuni they don't match  also look at the strokes on the one above the 3 lines not centered it may be that the small differences  are changes over time? but IMHO don't think so. Only shinsa can help with blades like this :thumbsup:  unless you can find some more Oshigata :) from Index of Japanese Swordsmiths

Kunitsugu (国次), 4th gen., Bunmei (文明, 1469-1487), Etchū– „Uda Kunitsugu“ (宇多国次), „Uda Kunitsugu saku“ (宇多国次作), Uda school, he lived in Etchū´s Kaganomiya (鏡宮), priest name „Jōkō“ (浄幸), gunome-midare or suguha,chūjō-saku

post-893-0-44163600-1510980048_thumb.jpg

post-893-0-09713200-1510984946_thumb.png

Jim,

The oshigata you provided in your last two posts have been definitely valuable. Nothing like seeing a range of mei from the same smith to get a gauge on what is a normal signature variance versus a possible (hopefully not !) gimei signature. I have noted  your two book references and will look to see if I can source some copies.

Your assistance has been much appreciated. Now for a bit more reading and research.

Sil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..