Ishiguro Masayoshi Examples

Valric

Hi all, 

I was recently blown away while researching tosogu by the work of this artist. Natsuo used to be my favourite tosogu artist, but now I'm veering towards Masayoshi. I was wondering if any of you had any pictures of his work you could share. I've exhausted google images, and I could only find a couple (including the most beautiful Tsuba I've ever seen, sold at Christies in 2005, in fact if anyone has a high resolution image of this one, please share). The finesse and crispness of the brushwork, details, shape and composition is just otherworldly. I haven't seen anyone come near in terms of birds or plants. 

Hi Chris,

I fully recommend the following (dual language) exhition catalogue which includes a whole chapter on Masayoshi:

Kachô Kenran Tôken - Ishiguro Ha no Sekai
花鳥絢爛刀装石黒派の世界
(The Ishiguro School of Japanese Sword Fittings Artists)
NBTHK 刀剣博物館
27 July - 30 October 2016

Paul

Chris,

My opinion: this is second tier.

When you get to the better stuff, then we will talk.

Please don't take that the wrong way. In comparison to these examples, there are exist many works that make them look like chopped liver.

It is good stuff, but it does get even better.

Chris,

Nope- I'm not going to bother. I'm not getting ^&$# for trying to help, and damn tired of it after an experience with a former NMB member.

Good luck getting there. You can toss off what I say however you like.

Grey's Higo tsuba is a national treasure with a lot of meaning behind it where the artistic skill may not be easily evident.

I remember being confused by that one back in the day.

There are entire books dedicated to the Best of the Best, where your Masayoshi looks like chopped liver. Buy the books and see some of the examples in Japan, or wherever they are currently owned.

Rough day Curran?
Calm down...Chris' comment doesn't have to read as a challenge. Just a question from someone who would like examples of others' tastes. Not everyone is confrontational. I am also in the camp of not yet getting the full wabi sabi and 'old iron' aesthetic just yet....but do love in-your-face talent such as Natsuo and Omori and Ishiguro. Less intellectual, but no less skilled. But love to see what does it for others.
This isn't a debate with a winner...just a friendly "you show me yours and I'll show you mine"

:)

• Like 5

Hi Brian,

Re-reading it, the language sounds much worse than intended.

Shifting gears between the world I work in, vs. the much politer world at large, -- is hard. That was only a 1 or 2 on the trading floor scale, so no need to calm down. I wasn't even awake.

I come from full contact of trading floor conversations flipping to NMB. I really don't mean to sound that rough.

I don't think I'd last 5 minutes teaching in the modern world.

I simply mean that my time is valuable to me and someone else years ago burned though my willingness to track down and scan in examples of those that I would consider 1st rate.

Masayoshi is technically proficient, but not what I would consider 1st tier or 1st rate. Let me simply have the opinion that I think of him as 'high second rate'.

Chris is presumably an adult and can accept, dismiss, or bear in the back of his mind my $1.99 opinion.

I do apologize for perceived harshness.

• Like 1

In the wider art world any one who attempted to create a false comparisons between, say, the water colours of Turner and the use of oil paint by Rembrandt would be regarded as naive at best, and a Philistine at worst. Similarly evaluating van Gogh in reference to Constable makes no sense at all.

I find it disappointing that in the world of tosogu appreciation this self evident observation is'nt appreciated with regard to the many different styles and genre of kinko and tanko work. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..