Help With Gunto Translation

jamesr

Hello all,

looking for help/confirmation/correction, translating these kanji. This is a type 3 (0) stamped sword I just purchased and any help would be appreciated. For your amusement I have attempted my own translation :) but some are a stretch. I am just trying to learn as much as I can since I plan on collecting further.

Interestingly, (to me) this sword appears to be stamped 3 times, once above the signature and another on the nakago mune, 2 appear to be showa and I tried to show a possible 3rd odd 1 above the date.

Also, any translation on the painted assembly kanji?

My guesses put DOM at Feb. 10th 1944 ?

Thanks in advance for any experienced translation assistance.

James R.

post-4274-0-90024600-1509745675_thumb.jpg

post-4274-0-29516700-1509745734_thumb.jpg

post-4274-0-20555700-1509745793_thumb.jpg

post-4274-0-33996000-1509745835_thumb.jpg

post-4274-0-61246900-1509745857_thumb.jpg

Awesome, thank you so much. I didn't show the 2nd showa stamp above the smith since it was clearly another showa. I believe I have a better idea now on reading the dates correctly. I thought the stamp above date was a seki after closer examination but it is so small its hard for me to make out clearly. I will check the other parts for matching assembly numbers.

Now I can start comparing other Nobumitsu signatures to see if I can find a comparable style.

Thanks again for the help.

James R.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Bruce, here are the Nobumitsu stamp pictures you asked for. I hope these are of some use to you, my photography skills may have gotten even worse if thats possible. If you need a larger or clearer image just let me know and I will make the attempt. Next I will send the Kanetsuga pictures I have as well. Thanks again for all you do.

Nobumitsu above smith 2.jpg

Nobumitsu above date 2.jpg

Nobumitsu mune 2.jpg

12 hours ago, jamesr said:

the Nobumitsu stamp pictures

James, that's fabulous, thanks!  Boy the Seki stamp on both these really busted me for a few minutes until I could see what they were.  Both are stamped side-ways, and roughly struck.  Both are Gifu & Seki plus Gifu on the mune.

Can I get mei and date pics for the Kanetsuga?

Also, the Nobumitsu has 2 mekugi ana ... so Rinji fittings?  How about the Kanetsuga?

Again, thanks for the help!

Glad you could see them for what they are, I know they had me scratching my head. Yes, they are both in Rinji fittings (type 3 ?) with 2 mekugi ana on both swords. Here are the date and smith pics for the Kanetsuga. Happy to oblige and hope these were useful for you. James.

kanetsuga date 2.jpg

kanetsuge smith 3.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jamesr said:

Kanetsuga.

Thanks James!  That was a good add to the database.

So far, all blades triple-marked - 2 on nakago 1 on mune - are in the 1944-45 date range, and almost all are made by RJT smiths.  Your Nagamitsu and Niel's Norinaga aren't listed on the Japaneseswordindex RJT page, but they could have missed their source data somehow.  No star, so probably not traditionally made.

Seki-Gifu.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 8:59 AM, jamesr said:

Hello Bruce, here are the Nobumitsu stamp pictures you asked for.

Nobumitsu above date 2.jpg

Can you measure the height of the 関 Seki stamp in the picture above in millimeters?  In the picture it is rotated sideways and I need the height and not the width.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..