Shinto Kuni Kane Wakizashi

Ed Hicks

Dear Ed.

So now comes the decision;  restore or do what?  Nice pair of menuki and some same, a good rewrap, find a suitable tsuba, little bit of work on the saya, oh and a polish of course.  At the end you will have saved a sword, spent a load of money and hopefully have something really nice.

Hosokawa mon on the habaki, very nice.

All the best. 

• 1 month later...

This looks to me like a classic Sendai shinto. Thankfully it has a simple niji-mei signature so it can easily be placed in the "school" . As far as I can tell, the niji-mei could have been made by any of the 4-10 generation. The mon on the habaki is a a common Date family crest.

Peter

• Like 2

Good eye, Jacques! The kiri yasurimei could be all right, but I had not noticed the ana in the jiri. That does look suspicious and I am sorry I missed it! The style of the signature looks all right and I have assumed that atomei signatures would present something more than just the two characters. If somebody was trying to fake this signature, why didn't they also just move the jiri up enough to lose the hole. Odd.

Peter

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..