Prices For Gassan Sadatoshi Tanto

Dear Members,

I recently saw a very nice tanto for sale by Gassan Sadatoshi. I know that he's a well known smith and I really appreciate this blade, though it is hard for me to state a price for such a blade. What do you think is a reasonable price for such a piece?

Thank you very much,

Marco

post-4084-0-77415900-1509276232_thumb.png

post-4084-0-63368700-1509276240_thumb.png

post-4084-0-39384500-1509276248_thumb.png

post-4084-0-06380200-1509276256_thumb.png

post-4084-0-20414500-1509276269_thumb.png

• Like 2

$40k for a tanto? Sorry, but no. A daito from a mukansa Smith is in the ballpark of $30k. With horimono, $40k-$50k and that’s commissioned, not second hand. The second hand market drops like a stone. For a gorgeous tanto - and it is excellent! - $10k to maybe (and this would be a HUGE stretch) $15k or there abouts and it would likely go only to a die hard Gassan collector. Otherwise it’ll sit for months/years at that price.

Look at Yoshindo, Shoji, and Ono Sensei for comparison sakes.

• Like 5

Hamish is probably not far off the mark.

A friend of mine looked at a bare blade daisho with no horimono and was given a preliminary quote of US$50,000.

That was five years ago.

Daisho, with the shoto being tanto or Wakizashi? Either way that had a daito and the market has soured on second hand shinsakuto in the last 5 years. Did your friend buy at $50k? I’m guessing not, since you said it was a quote. A seller can ask whatever they want for a sword(s) but that doesn’t mean they’ll sell at that price.

• Like 2

thanks for that Joe,  (IMHO, guys for those who don't know Joe is a Gendai sword God, .... ok maybe demi-god hahahhahahha) 

i had never thought of second hand sale in this case, I was only going on what I had seen in the last DTI.  (can only guess they were new and low miles hahah)

I knew shinsakuto dropped in price, BBBUTT not  that much, for a master smith like him is sad, a real shame but also a great chance to save money.

thanks for setting me straight

regards H

• Like 2

Daisho, with the shoto being tanto or Wakizashi? Either way that had a daito and the market has soured on second hand shinsakuto in the last 5 years. Did your friend buy at $50k? I’m guessing not, since you said it was a quote. A seller can ask whatever they want for a sword(s) but that doesn’t mean they’ll sell at that price.

Shoto being wakizashi.

No polish, no horimono, no habaki, just rough blades.

I wasn't clear in my original post but the 'seller' was Sadatoshi, ie. that was the price quoted to make a daisho.

But no, the commission didn't go through so maybe his prices have lowered.

• Like 1

Masamine sells at a very high premium as compared to the smiths I listed. Ssdatoshi would be roughly in the same ballpark as the Yoshihara’s and Ono Sensei. Honestly, I’m not entirely sure why. His blades are phenomenal - but I don’t see such a radical difference in his stuff than other top-of-the-top-of the heap shinsakuto.

thanks for that Joe, (IMHO, guys for those who don't know Joe is a Gendai sword God, .... ok maybe demi-god hahahhahahha)

Thanks Hamfish, but no where near correct. I know a very small bit more about a very small segments of swords than a very small set of collectors. Take me out of my sandbox and I’m a moron. For the show this weekend, I have to setup a yoroi... I have no idea where to start. The helmet goes on top right?

• Like 1

The aoijapan Tachi example is priced at ~$270 per cm of nagasa. Therefore, the tanto in the OP is worth about $6-7k assuming it’s around 25cm or so.

Alan, katana & tanto, both in similar (near-perfect) condition, will sell at a similar price in many cases. You can't calculate value on a per-inch basis.

I'm not a Gassan officianado, but I do have a Sadakazu tanto and katana, both gorgeous.  Dealers can ask huge prices for beautiful Gassan blades - for example this Sadaichi:

http://www.ricecracker.com/japanese_swords/wakizashi/sw10.htm

A Sadakazu tanto in full polish with ayasugi hada, signed Teishitsu Gigein (i.e. with his equivalent of living national treasure) would be in the range of $8-12K or so, in my opinion, as an asking/retail price.  A katana, with horimono,  with papers and full polish, would be in the range of $15K, give or take.   My guess on this tanto, in the resale market, would be in the $10-15K range.  Just my two bits worth.

• Like 1

Really interesting sword! I wonder what John wound up taking for it. I bet it was quite a ways from $40k. Even though this was a gassaku work and Sadatoshi collaborated on it, there two very important differences is that the tanto in question is not a gassaku work with Nidai Sadakazu who is a smith in his own realm, and it’s a tanto not Wakizashi.

not to be difficult but this is priced over 20K

or would I be uneducated to say that the gassen tanto is by far the better, or is that just my bias

http://www.tsuruginoya.com/mn1_3/f00258.html

It has TH papers which jumps the price DRASTICALLY. Right or wrong, I loosely equate TH for gendaito as the equivalent to Juyo for older blades since they are SUPER RARE and gendaito is not eligible for Juyo yet. This is why, when I paper a sword, I just do the dual Hozon/TH shinsa even though the odds of hitting that “jackpot” is next to nill.

The catch here is that I don’t think many people do this because they don’t think it has a chance, so there is a lot of blades out there that would get TH if submitted, but go unsubmitted.

Interesting that TH has discriminatory power for Gendaito, unlike earlier work. Even in ShinShinto, great smiths get automatically TH unless something is wrong. It genuinely seems that there is within-smith variation for TH in great Gendaito smiths. It's more of a contest, a la juyo. 

If anything it's not very coherent. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..