Aluminum Tsuka Nco Gunto, Real?

Gasam

Heyas,

My copy of Military Swords of Japan is on loan, but I would have asked this question here anyways as I do not know so much about how good fakes of these swords are getting. I assume there are decent fakes out there.

Anyways, seller is asking equiv of USD430 for this metal hilted NCO gunto, I am interested on account of not having one. (Metal tsuka that is :-) )

To me the pictures show a genuine sword, in not too shabby condition to boot. I was worried that the tsuka did not have copper colour, but apparently these were made out of aluminum as well. Just something about how the pictures seem "right" to me, it looks real. To my eyes anyways.

So the question I guess is, do you gentlemen agree that sword is most likely genuine?

PS: Found also a clearly fake sword. enclosing also a single picture of that.

Cheers,

post-2939-0-45668800-1507870339_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-09075000-1507870353_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-69077600-1507870363_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-30658200-1507870379_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-09383800-1507870391_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-52616600-1507870406_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-14360600-1507870418_thumb.jpg

There seems to be a rash off these with fake “Gifu” stamps lately. The Kokura stamp is wrong and there’s no inspector stamp. The serial number is upside down for a Kokura blade too . Good quality reproduction, but not authentic.

I wouldn’t pay more than $150 USD for a reproduction.

Standard fake, mildly better than usual. Get some books back to read and compare or have a look through the numerous online resources. There's a ton of tell tale signs on these. It's an enjoyable exercise and useful. Feels pretty good when you begin to pick them.

Edit: The only really good fakes are the Polish reproduction swords that are dolled up to become fakes. These have a number of warning signs too, but no one can be to blame for buying these, as they really are very faithful reproduction. Hats off to the Polish. These are the only ones I'd consider buying and only so I could swing it at a reed mat... because I'd like to see/feel how effective they were as functional weapons, plus the bonus of being able to wear it at military fairs without any concern for sweaty hands or knocks.

Fake -  I decent one, but a fake.      I'm still a relative novice so decided to study the photos BEFORE reading the other posts of the more seasoned members, but I have been studying my references so as Steve implies,  it's a good exercise and training ... I appreciate you sharing this sword!   Dan 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..