Translation Request

Dear community,

You may wonder why I have arrived at a Japanese Sword forum with the attached item.

Whilst I have an ever growing passion for Japanese art and culture I admit to only owning a few Tsuba. This being said, I do posses a deep interest in Japanese metal works, and the origin, and own a humble collection of Kagamibuta.

Perhaps the only link to Japanese swords on the following item is that I believe it to be crafted in a similar spirit as the Japanese Sword, and that the case top looks to be made of the metal composition Shakudo.

I have tried to decipher the Kanji on this item for a while with very little success (I have been slowly learning to read Kanji but have a long way to go). I believe it may make reference to a temple around the Nara region. The masks around this item make me reminisce of temples in Nara. I suspect the work comes from a circle of hands around an artist named Kano Tessai. Beyond this I am floored. I recently showed it to a friend with Kanji skills, who suggested I visit this forum to ask if anyone can help translate.

As there are a number of sections with kanji, I have taken separate photos to try and capture all the kanji in a readable format. Please click on images for the larger views.

I realise this is a big ask - and if it's not possible, or the item off topic for this forum, I fully appreciate your stance and thank you for taking the time read this post.

Section 1

post-4246-0-38248500-1507225721_thumb.jpg

Section 2

post-4246-0-65085300-1507225734_thumb.jpg

Section 3

post-4246-0-07052500-1507225745_thumb.jpg

Section 4

post-4246-0-36277700-1507225754_thumb.jpg

Section 5

post-4246-0-07709100-1507225767_thumb.jpg

Section 6

post-4246-0-62767400-1507225780_thumb.jpg

Section 2 - 熱田社宝物 蘭陵王面 

Atsuta-sha treasure (reference to Atsuta Jinja in Nagoya, is my guess https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsuta_Shrine)

Ranryō-ō men (Character mask from Gagaku https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%98%AD%E9%99%B5%E7%8E%8B_(%E9%9B%85%E6%A5%BD))

Probably the design is influenced by (or a copy of) a mask in the treasury of Atsuta Shrine. 

Section 4 bears the date 久安元年十二月八日 (Kyūan 1, December 8th). This is 1145 on the Gregorian calendar.

Section 6 bears the date 弘安四年八月日 (Kōan 4, August), which is 1281 on the Gregorian calendar. 

These are the easy pickings. 

Hi, Martyn san,

The signature says "carved by Tekkan"(鐡寒刀),not Tessai.

Dear Morita San,

I humbly thank you for the translation of the artist's go. Please forgive my poor command of the English language - I did not mean to infer it was by Tessai. Whilst I could identify the second Kanji was not sai, I noted the first Kanji was signed in the same manner as Tes (鐡). That, along with the work, lead me to believe this artist may have been a monjin of Tessai (or circle of hands, as I poorly described). Your generous translation has opened up a wide research opportunity and I have been devouring any material I've been able to find in my library on the artist you identified.

I will return to share the information once I have gathered everything together to create a meaningful post.

Thank you again for your time.

Section 2 - 熱田社宝物 蘭陵王面 

Atsuta-sha treasure (reference to Atsuta Jinja in Nagoya, is my guess https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsuta_Shrine)

Ranryō-ō men (Character mask from Gagaku https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%98%AD%E9%99%B5%E7%8E%8B_(%E9%9B%85%E6%A5%BD))

Probably the design is influenced by (or a copy of) a mask in the treasury of Atsuta Shrine. 

Section 4 bears the date 久安元年十二月八日 (Kyūan 1, December 8th). This is 1145 on the Gregorian calendar.

Section 6 bears the date 弘安四年八月日 (Kōan 4, August), which is 1281 on the Gregorian calendar. 

These are the easy pickings. 

Dear Steve San,

Truly an epic translation, in which I remain indebted for your help. As you have identified, the masks shown on this work are a collection of Bugaku and Gagaku masks from the Atsuta shrine treasury. This fits in with the artists history as a monk that studied these treasures with Tessai.

I suspect the dates are a reference to the date that each individual mask was created.

Thank you for your help with this translation.

A wonderful forum of very educated and helpful souls. Piers, thank you for suggesting I visit :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..