MODERN DAY JAPANESE SWORDSMITH'S

Dino

I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING A QUALITY SWORD FROM MODERN TIMES AND WAS WONDERING WHAT OTHER'S THINK ABOUT NEW OR RELITIVELY NEW SWORD'S. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE AOI-ART WEBSITE WHICH SEEMS TO SELL A GOOD NUMBER OF NEWER SWORD'S, SOME THAT SEEM QUITE REASONABLE IN PRICE. I HAVE ALSO BEEN (HEAVILY EYEBALLING) A SWORD ON MODERTOSO.COM WHICH IS A KOMIYA YASUMITSU DAITO THAT IS VERY NICE. IF ANYONE HAS SOME SUGGESTIONS ON NEW SWORDSMITH'S THAT I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT. FOR MYSELF I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT TO AQUIRE AT LEAST ONE NEW SWORD FROM A MODERN DAY SWORDSMITH WHICH INTURN HELPS TO KEEP THE HERITAGE GOING AND FOR OTHER'S TO APPRECIATE YEARS FROM NOW.

THANK YOU

DINO

Hi Dino, An admirable thought and one that should be promoted. There are many smiths producing Nihonto (shinsakuto) and all that you have to decide is price range and type of sword you want. I think there are about 320 tosho listed. Some would invite you to come and discuss what exactly your preferences are, of course within the confines of their particular style. You can also do this via e-mail. All the competition swords this year are completed and at the polishers so this may be a good time to start inquiries. I have some contacts for you if interested, PM me. No kick backs to me so I am not leading you for my own purpose. Of course this isn't going to happen overnight, but you may be more satisfied with a custom sword just like was done in times of yore. Anyhow good luck. John

This one appeared in Aoi yesterday and hold within hours

http://www.aoi-art.com/sword/katana/08040.html

At least this one is real unlike the many gendai big name fakes being sold on ebay by one seller we all know.

Given the current economic situation it is nice to see such swift demand for quality new swords. New swords are like investment, quality matters but more importantly the smith matters more, with big names in higher demand especially one likely to become LNT very soon.

Agree completely. That is certainly a stunning sword. And I think the price was good, if you consider how much you would have to pay to commission a new one nowdays.

There is very good work being done today..just ask Paul Martin.

These will be the Juyo blades in the comming 400 years....so do it for your kids' kids' kids' kids! :)

Brian

A store I believe in Tokyo sells ready made shinsakuto off the shelf and those long swords by the Yoshihara brothers were between 3.5 to 4 million yen about the same as if you want one made direct from the smith. Prices varies depend were you get them. I think 2.5 million yen woud be the expected secondary market price for swords by top mukansa at department store prices.

There are some excellent shinsakuto being made, but like with old swords the exceptional ones are fewer, and you must know how to recognize when you've come across one. The basis for sword appreciation is kantei. The 'modern sword' that would attract my attention is one that would have me believe it is a Koto sword, except it isn't. But, then again, to each his own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..