Shirasaya Mouth A Little Tight.

Bencld

Hello all. I have a wakizashi that is a little tight around the mouth of the shirasaya and habaki. I have had it a while and it hasn't changed between winter weather and warmer weather. 

Any suggestions so it seats properly and doesn't let any air in.

Thanks in advance.

Chris D.

That tightness indicates you might very well have a good seal.

I doubt that there are any shira saya that are 'air tight', the habaki whether wood or metal is what snugs the fit into the saya.

If you find that it is tight to draw the blade, then I suggest you might trying, just to seat the blade home without undue pressure.

You are never going to exclude air, but if your storage conditions are correct, then no worries.

Hi all. If the blade is not seated properly and is sitting out a couple of mm, isn't the rest if the blade not held by the shirasaya properly and subject to rattle and therfor scratching ? If I take the tsuka off the blade will slide in a little more and will not rattle. As it is sitting up a couple of mm, the blade rattles.

Chris D.

Chris. Blades in a properly fitted saya, drawn and replaced by contact with the mune only, seldom get scratched.

Over oiled blades that can pick up small particles, and then carry those into the saya, can cause scratches.

But with the best care in the world, I have seen blade showing line scratches.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..