Opinions Needed And Welcome.

estcrh

I will post some images and see what comes up. It does not look oil quenched to me at least compared to the other known oil quenched blades I have but I can see no activity, an alternate type of steel perhaps or am I missing something.

28653fc9a62c7edcc7ff0af522ae1243.jpg

62f525cfcf3772b694bd5da17207162d.jpg

9219448efa78934dec817d731fc7d4eb.jpg

9ef4e64ceea5fc3d45ca51c59a180190.jpg

d6a95daebabe5adc45431d396335fcca.jpg

Hello,

maybe this smith (from Markus book):

SADAMITSU (貞光), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Ehime – “Sadamitsu” (貞光), family name Matsumoto (松本), jōkō no retsu (Akihide), First Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

Well if you have trouble reading the kanji then probably not.  Gassan blades of this period tend to have very well cut mei and impeccable nakago.  Who knows?

All the best.

Geraint, actually I can not read kanji at all, which is why I am asking for opinions. So do you or anyone else here have a Gassan Sadamitsu mei to compare? The reason I even brought up this smith is that I saw a blade with a very similar mei dated October 1943 that was attributed to him, but the owner of that sword may not be correct.

9a19182ab5b7fa95cfc960ed9a80d529.jpg

I have been a member here for many years, this is the first time I have asked for help with identification. I have a small group of WWII swords that have been in storage for a while, I am not very knowledgable on the subject of WWII smiths so hopefully some members here have some insight that they are willing to share, thanks for the responses so far, greatly appreciated.

Some better images.

eef8c21a1c7f912b1c103539f3ddfae4.jpg

721cbb272caa1fe7c772814a32f4eaa8.jpg

You know Geraint but are , I think , too polite to say .Wherever he is now poor old Gassan Sadamitsu would probably die of shame if he learnt that people were attributing this piece too him.

Ian Brooks

Gassan Sadamitsus landlady perhaps.

And remarks like this are helpful in what way? I know people who will not post their swords here for this reason, they are afraid of asking a stupid question when in fact there are only stupid answers. Really, is this necessary?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Eric.

Please don't misunderstand my comment, it was not directed at your difficulty with the kanji rather the fact that Gassan blades have very neat and distinctive calligraphy as well as very well finished nakago with kesho yasurime.  A good place to start your comparisons is here, https://markussesko.com/2013/07/21/gassan-sadaichi/

Nothing about the nakago suggests Gassan to me so I feel you would be better off following up on the smith that Klaus suggested.  I hope this helps.

All the best.

Hi Eric.

Please don't misunderstand my comment, it was not directed at your difficulty with the kanji rather the fact that Gassan blades have very neat and distinctive calligraphy as well as very well finished nakago with kesho yasurime.  A good place to start your comparisons is here, https://markussesko.com/2013/07/21/gassan-sadaichi/

Nothing about the nakago suggests Gassan to me so I feel you would be better off following up on the smith that Klaus suggested.  I hope this helps.

All the best.

Not at all Geraint, I understood your meaning and agree with your assessment. At this point it is not even confirmed as "Sadamitsu". Finding a mei to compare for any of the smiths mentioned is not easy it seems.

Well if you have trouble reading the kanji then probably not.  Gassan blades of this period tend to have very well cut mei and impeccable nakago.  Who knows?

All the best.

Ha, no I read it fine. It was a brain-fart that forced our 12 months into a 10 month cycle and came out with "December" as "10". A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Eric this blade is a showa-to no doubt. Take it as it is.

I never said it was not showato but this is a section for "Military Swords of Japan" right so what exactly does "take it as it is" mean? if you have nothing to add and have no interest why comment, there are people who do have an interest and knowledge of showato.

• Like 1

Eric with all respect.

What will you find out? 

You ask for opinions for your sword. It is a oil quenched showa-to blade with stamps that not indicates that it is a gendaito. It is a Type 98 Gunto with a fast chissled signature, in good condition. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..