Shinsa

kissakai

I have (possibly) a ubu wakizashi signed 'Omi Daijo Fujiwara Tadahiro' that may be a  dai-saku dai-mei by the sandai (Mutsu no kami Tadayoshi) that I intend to submit next year for shinsa after having it polished.

It makes sense that if it is submitted for shinsa in Japan then it should be polished in Japan.

The Hizen blades are notorious for having thin skin so there is always a risk of exposing the core when polishing but I assume that a good Japanese polisher would have a very good idea if this was a problem.

I know it is an obvious statement but a poor polish will ruin the blade especially when dealing with a Hizen blade

As I live in the UK I can post direct to Japan or go via the EU as the import controls are easier than going via (say) the USA.

My question is

I assume I would use the NBTHK for shinsa but at what level, Hozon or Tokubetsu Hozen

Use an agent

Contact a recommended polisher in Japan

It would nice that I am informed in stages of the progress

Do I have to wait an eternity to complete this process

What would also help is your own positive experiences with this process. On this post I would not like the negative experiences as these pop up on various post and will not help me choosing the right path

Once started I can start a post documenting this process that may be of interest

The following are some details I’ve found on the internet that are of no real relevance to my questions but may be of interest

Nippon Bijutsu Tôken Hozon Kyôkai (NBTHK) Shinsa evaluations are only held only in Japan.

The current ranking are shown below:

HOZON - "Worthy of Preservation"

TOKUBETSU HOZON - "Extraordinarily Worthy of Preservation"

JUYO TOKEN - "Very Important Work"

TOKUBETSU JUYO - "Extraordinarily Important Work"

Nihon Token Hozon Kai (NTHK) Shinsa are held outside of Japan.

The N.T.H.K sword ratings are:

SHINTEISHO - "Genuine Work" / 60-69 points

KANTEISHO - "Important Work" / 70-79 points

Kanteisho with 80 + points is eligible for the yearly Yushu shinsa held only in Japan.

YUSHU SAKU - "Very Important Work" / 80 + points

Fujishiro swordsmith ratings

The Fujishiro system of rating swordsmiths is based on the Nihon Toko Jiten, by Matsuo Fujishiro. Fujishiro who rated smiths of the Koto, Shinto and Shin shinto eras. This rating system applies to swordsmiths, unlike the N.B.T.H.K. and N.T.H.K. origami which are awarded to a specific sword blade. In the Fujishiro rating system, the swordsmiths are rated:

Chu Saku - "Average Made"

Chu Jo Saku - "Above Average Made"

Jo Saku - "Superior Made"

Jo Jo Saku - "Above Superior Made"

Sai Jo Saku - "Most Superior Made"

If non-member the NBTHK charges 2,000 yen extra on each item submitted to shinsa for Hozon and Tokubetsu Hozon. ( i.e: If your piece passes  both Hozon and T. Hozon you will be charged an additional 4,000 yen on top of their shinsa fees.) 

Shinsa Fees

Tokubetsu Hozon Token & Toso with Hozon paper

Pass 30,000 Yen

Fail 7,000 Yen

Simultaneous application of Hozon and Tokubetsu Hozon

Pass  27,000 Yen?

Grev UK

Contact Paul Martin on my behalf. He is coming to England in November or December and he can perhaps take swords back to Japan

He’s not coming until March 2018 to collect swords, but yes Paul Martin is the best choice.

Also Grev have you checked with Roger Robertshaw to see if the mei is good?

• Like 1

Grev

The reality is you have relatively few options. You need a knowledgeable, experienced English-speaking agent in Japan who takes good care of your sword and sorts out the logistics. So, somehow you need to get your sword over there first and then the agent will sort out the admin aspects (unless the agent, like Paul on his biannual UK trips, picks the item in person in the UK). To me, Paul's personal attention and picking up of swords have been indispensable. If you are OK to send your items to people you do not know, then you can use any of the Japanese dealers (acknowledging less English knowledge, slower speed of response etc). There are some North American Japan-based people there (Bob, etc ) who can also help. Further, in the U.K. - have you checked with Pablo Kuntz from UniqueJapan (have not used his services but good reputation)?

• Like 1

The original owner had Roger look at in hand and he is happy that the  mei is correct

You should be ok then, Roger helped me with a couple of my Hizen and both turned out to be fine after they were sent to Japan.

Paul Martin is definitely the best choice, his prices are very reasonable and he has access to the best people in Japan. I will also be sending another blade through his service next year.

• Like 1

He is very efficient and his delivery is subject to what you need done - simply because he depends on third parties to get your job done (e.g. shinsa turnaround and release of items, polisher time, sayashi time, etc). Furthermore, it depends on whether you want to receive back your item in person (Paul only comes to the UK once or twice a year) or are happy with items being shipped. Same with outbound logistics really (I only hand stuff in person as I do not trust the couriers, RM staff).

• Like 1

Please keep in mind that that one can bring only 3 swords at a time into / out of Japan personally, i.e. as checked luggage - and that one has to spend considerable time at the airport in Japan for the paperwork in both cases. If I was in the business of doing that, I'd charge a premium for my time / inconvenience. So please go easy on Paul. ;-)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..