The One You Regret The Most

well i was spending my arvo going though all my photos of the collection i sold to pay the way of raising a new family.

it got me thinking, "we all regret not buying the item of our dreams", or we got ripped off or bought a fake.

but my pain is selling something that you didn't really know how much you loved it until you let it go.

what pains me, I was short on money and the car was needing a transmission. 

sooooooo a papered 70 point Akasaka tsuba went to a not so nice friend (the one we all have that never gives you a good price when your buying from him. BUT screws you to the floor like its last doller when you sell to him) we all have one.

so $480 USD and he still thinks its not as good as a Nanban tsuba hahhaha

so share your pain with me. THE ONE YOU REGRET THE MOST for selling

post-571-0-38588400-1505900464_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The most stunning naginata I have ever seen, with the most perfect lines and hi.
I was dumb enough to trade it for a (99% certain) gimei Sadakatsu with average horimono because I didn't know much better and was captivated to have something with a horimono.
Now I know better...and suspect it is a tricked up Gendaito maybe.
But hardly a week goes by that i don't miss that naginata.
Roger R, I want my naginata back! :sad:

• Like 1

I traded a muromachi period wakizashi with handachi koshirae and fitted with a good looking Tsuba (like Owari) for a package of scum. Now i see every day that box with that pieces of pain. I will never give it away to remember me that I'm a fool..  :bang:  :laughing:

My advise - don't trust bad photos  :thumbsup:

Hamfish, that Tsuba is lovely indeed.

• Like 2

Hmmm

I have been giving this some thought. There are certainly things I have regretted buying in the past which turned out to be wrong. Generally things I have sold, and over the years this is now quite a lot, have been to fund something else that I wanted a lot more. So while I haven't regretted selling them for what I ultimately ended up with, My "selfish gene" wishes I could have kept some of them as well as buying the other pieces.

Surprisingly (to me) these werent necessarily the highest vlaue pieces although some were more expensive than others In no particular order:

1. The first sword I ever bought a Gendaito igned Kanesada. I kept it for 14 years

2. A mumei wakazashi papwered to Echizen Seki (it was and still is beautiful)

3. A wakazashi by Shodai Tadayoshi

4. A wakazashi by 8th generation Tadayoshi

5. A blade papered to Yamato Shizu.

I am sure with more thought I could think of more. If I had to say one from the above it would probably be the Shodai Tadayoshi but a close run thing with the 8th generation and Echizen Seki.

Ok you guys love being sadistic or would that be masochistic...if you really need to KNOW...a gendaito signed shichi sai hokoku...seven life's for my county.
Same covered saya with lacquered finish on top....i dream of it being back on my tachikake...ok happy. Off for a good  :cry:   ...lol

• Like 1

Funny i went to look for photos, ran across this, what changed in a few years from my post #18

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/6144-do-you-collect-swords-as-art-or-as-artifact/?hl=%2Bshichi+%2Bhokoku&do=findComment&comment=58872

to selling it on Ebay,,,i wench !

post-21-1419678232532.jpg

if ever a time machine ill receive a slap up side my head!

Well this might not be what you'd expect and I have owned so few Japanese swords over my collecting years that I think at the moment I do not miss too much any Japanese item. However I greatly miss one item I sold some years ago to be able to afford a Japanese sword. It was Albion Baron with Christian Fletcher scabbard & belt suspension. For those who might not know lot about European swords Albion is a maker of top tier reproductions and this was an Oakeshott type XIIa sword. War swords like this were historically seen in 13th and 14th century.

post-381-0-41085000-1505930287_thumb.jpg

I traded that sword to myself for a Chinese replica of Japanese sword, sold to fund a Japanese sword which I sold to fund my trip to Japan. So in the end I am very happy with the cycle. And I know I will some day get another similar war sword. :)

As this is a forum about Japanese swords I'll add the toughest Japanese sword sell that I made. I am happy that the sword is now owned by a friend who can enjoy it. This tanto that was attributed to Shimada Sukemune has so much going on in the hamon. My personal favorite on this is the ura side.

post-381-0-18911500-1505930578_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I don't have any specifics to share bc I'm too new with nihonto. But I have learned through collecting Winchesters that no matter how rare or scarce if you search hard enough you will find another. I have to believe it's true with swords as well. Collectors reach a point when it's time to sell seeking new caretakers. So all is not lost if you are patient.

• Like 1

I think I saw that one when I visited him! Next time I go over, to will put it in my pocket and send back!!!

The most stunning naginata I have ever seen, with the most perfect lines and hi.

I was dumb enough to trade it for a (99% certain) gimei Sadakatsu with average horimono because I didn't know much better and was captivated to have something with a horimono.

Now I know better...and suspect it is a tricked up Gendaito maybe.

But hardly a week goes by that i don't miss that naginata.

Roger R, I want my naginata back! :sad:

I think I saw that one when I visited him! Next time I go over, to will put it in my pocket and send back!!!

With all the stuff he has..he wouldn't even miss it :laughing:

Yeah...I really miss that naginata. Always hope to find one with such nicely cut lines. Wasn't even a big name, just beautifully made. Maybe oneday he'll let me buy it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing I've sold so far

But two I just missed buying :

A masahiro sunnobi tanto

And

A Tametsugu katana

It's ok though, the best of my collection still awaits me.

I do have a sadatsuna naginata naoshi that is quite stunning. This thread makes me glad I haven't sold it.

A friend offered me a huge, beautifully mounted Kawachi no Kami Kunisuke with horimono that he had taken around at the show and everybody said was gimei.  He wanted $11K for it, which was more than the total in my piggy bank.  I didn't think it was obviously bad and encouraged him to send it to Japan but he sold it to a third friend for $12K.  That friend sent it to Japan and ultimately sold it for $135K if memory serves.  

• Like 1

Oh this is an easy one.. There was a Hitatsura Nagamaki Naoshi katana on ricecracker years ago that called out to me .. alas it was just out of my reach.. Every now and again i still shed a

silent tear for not mowing a few more lawns to get it.

s8a.jpg

Kurt K

I do remember that one! Really gorgeous blade if I recall correctly and that was when I was first becoming interested as a kid in true Nihonto.

The one I regret the most is a Chikuzen Nobuhide that was dated to 1867 that I purchased at an auction in 2012. It was wide, meaty with a nagasa of 27.5 and an elegant sori. I bought it for a song and really wanted to send for a window with its choji/notare hamon but no hada could be see through the scratches. Only real flaws were two microchips in the center of the ha and the light surface rust with micro pitting near the kissaki. Was most likely gimei I but reminded me of Ishido work. Sold it in January before paying off my loan last month, would've been my first blade to send off as this would've been the three year mark of ownership.

Ive bought a few other blades since, selling most for the same reason after studying them, but the silver lining(s) are the two I've purchased in the past few months. May check with the guy to see how it's been.

1) Possible Uda Muromachi O-Suriage Wakizashi with traditional koshirae remounted for WWII that I traded a few items for thst once I was cleaned off brought a beautiful hada and hamon with activities that is now with Mr. Tschernega and will be heading to Takeo Seki for assessment and polish.

2) An in-polish O-Suriage Wakizashi in koshirae from a good friend that he believes to be attributed to the Fukuoka Ichimonji school. Has a few open layers/loose grain but is abundant with activity. Will post in a few days for opinions.

As stated in the previous posts, you can always replace some things, even sentimental ones knowing they're to be enjoyed and studied by others as has been done for generations. But the "What Ifs?" are always what get to ya!

The one blade I wonder about is the blade I saw the first time I took leave and was in Dallas. I was in Oklahoma for a camping/fishing trip and we took a trip to Dallas to meet with a collector who wanted to see the FJ and SS camo smocks I had. Through our emails, seemed a well to do guy who had connections to the veteran Fallschirmjagers in Germany. He had quote a few items to trade, including an SS Degen and a Black Widow Luger (but "couldn't get to his storage unit"). Bit what caught my attention was a T98 mounted blade.

The blade was in high quality Type 98 mounts with a cut off tsuba and family mon. I couldn't take off the tsuka and he looked nervous that it would break, so I didn't want to frighten him. However, the blade had an elegant sori, small width with a gorgeous and tight itame hada with I believe no loose grain? The hamon was a well done suguha with fine nie and a few other activities. It seemed reminiscent of a late Kamakura/early Nanbokucho tachi, but whether o-suriage, ubu signed or mumei, I don't believe I'll ever know, but if it was. If it was shortened, it must have been slightly suriage or even longer than I believed as it was a long blade. We couldn't come to a deal then, him trying for the FJ but really bargaining. The other reason was wife (guess it could be also life) issues. We tried again for a few months after, but with the unknown condition of the nakago and the trade values not evening up close, we lost contact. I eventually sold the SS Smock to a collector in Virginia and the FJ to one in Normandy, France. After I sold them, he contacted me again, but after I told him what happened and inquired about just purchasing the tachi, contact was cut.

So in retrospect, the blade I miss the most really is the Nobuhide that I wish I could have sent to shinsa with the NTHK to prove the gimei theory. But sometimes I wonder if I lost more sleep from that or the Type 98 mounted Tachi?

This one still KILLS me and there really was no reason not to buy it but some stupid rule I set for myself. I should have listened to Ray Singer and Stephen.

Anyways:

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/as08188-%E5%88%80%EF%BC%9A%E8%8F%8A%E7%B4%8B-%E6%97%A5%E7%BD%AE%E5%B1%B1%E5%9F%8E%E5%AE%88%E6%BA%90%E4%B8%80%E6%B3%95-katana-kiku-mon-hioki-yamashiro-kami-minamoto-ippo

post-4009-0-08130500-1507246961_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

For many years now I've followed the philosophy of finding, learning and letting go so I never have any emotional issues with what I have let go forward or that which I could not acquire.  The only 'missstep' I have questioned myself on was one tsuba which I probably should have held onto longer instead of selling to purchase something else.  I think in this case I could have come to learn more by keeping it but that is water past the bridge so it is what it is.  I have good recollection of it so that is helpful.  Unfortunately I lost the pictures in a computer crash a number of years ago but this is a picture from, 'Tsuba Kanshoki'.  It was an interesting piece:

post-83-0-04725800-1507289783_thumb.jpg

Osafune Iesuke naginata belonging to friend and mentor John Prough.

He asked me to get a sword off his storage shelf. I pulled the wrong one, and out came the most beautiful naginata w/ horimono that I had ever seen: with two ugly fans points of rust from the mune side.

According to John, a Chinese doctor living in Manhattan had purchased it and put it up on the wall of his library resting on two iron nails or pins. The rust grew from there.

John let me quietly drink it in. I didn't have money and time for such a project, living between FL and NYC and didn't want to push John for it.

• Like 1

I don't have any specifics to share bc I'm too new with nihonto. But I have learned through collecting Winchesters that no matter how rare or scarce if you search hard enough you will find another. I have to believe it's true with swords as well. Collectors reach a point when it's time to sell seeking new caretakers. So all is not lost if you are patient.

This.

My regret, though is a Kasama Shigetsugu in full polish in the highest quality gunto mounts I’ve ever seen in perfect condition. I bought it in the early 80’s for $250, sold it for $750 a couple of years later and thought I was doing well. Ironically I wanted the funds to purchase a rare Winchester.

Steve

My biggest regret came to have a happy ending.  Some years ago, during a particular period of upheaval for me, I recklessly let the tsuba below get away.  I regretted it almost from the moment I did so, but I had sold it to a collector who promised me right of first refusal in the event he would be looking to sell it.  A couple of years later, this came to pass, and I was fortunate enough to get it back (thanks, M! :) ).  

I've had a few other smaller regrets, but none on the level of this one.  So I am grateful that the gods smiled on me here... :glee:

post-224-0-88326100-1507314137_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-39559400-1507314194_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-38785800-1507314265_thumb.jpg

mine most regret is this excellent Ko-shoami Kinko i once sold to a NMB Moderator-just  due the fact i did just need (very fast! )  a new Metabo plus essencialls...LOL! :) !

calculation did it. - however, i do strong regret to have it passed away-

it is but hopefully, still in good hands... :) !

me

post-1110-0-60106900-1507321201_thumb.jpg

Ray,

The Tametsugu is a Beautiful blade and sold for what probably was a very reasonable price. I did bid on it but got sniped at the end. I don't care for aois auctions because of how that particular auction went down.

If there's bidding activity at the end of their auction they add time. I missed buying that blade because of that.

The ones we're supposed to have find us though.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..