Gendaito Or Showato?

vajo

I have only photos. These two pictures are the sharpest one. I know that these smith made gendaito, but he also made showato which are signed by employees. So I'm not sure what it is. For me it looks like hira zukuri.  :)  (but I'm also not sure).

My feeling to this is showa-to.

• Like 1

id say almost 100% gendaito Nakirishimei...  EVERY blade i have seen by mano masayasu himself has a punch mark at the bottom of the nagako. I dont see one here (although i will say the mei itself looks dead on). Also, His work tends to be flush with chikei and that is absent as well. Perhaps signed by him but forged by student? Hard to say with the polish.

I have one in hand.. Here are some photos for reference

Best Regards

Kurt K

post-2510-0-15928100-1506327000_thumb.jpg

post-2510-0-04480100-1506327028_thumb.jpg

post-2510-0-43126100-1506327094_thumb.jpg

post-2510-0-45255100-1506327142_thumb.jpg

post-2510-0-27725300-1506327503_thumb.jpg

post-2510-0-11802600-1506327542_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

To revive this topic, I have the opportunity to pick up another blade Signed Masa Yasu, though it appears to be Nakirishi mei. It also only has a 2 kanji Mei. Blade is in good polish in wartime mount with no apparent issues. Cant see the hada or hamon up close but pretty sure its Gendaito.. no stamps.. Crumbling leather cover over wood saya. Seller is asking 1495.00. USD..  Is that about market for Nakirishi Mei or is it a bargain?

2019-05-22_028_1.jpg

post-2510-0-26406400-1560274065_thumb.jpg

Why would you be sure it is Gendaito? Mei looks Showato style to me, and the majority of no-stamp blades are as such.
Unless you are seeing nie and a bit of hamon, I would expect it to not be a Gendaito. If it is...then the price is good.

Brian,

Unless i am mistaken, which i very well could be, It is my understanding that Masayasu (and his students) only made Gendaito. Slough only lists medium grade Gendaito being attributed to his work..  I do wish there was some more detailed information available about this particular maker and the shop that he ran. There does appear to be Hamon. The turn back on the boshi is fairly well pronounced. What i meant was that I could not see hada or hamon up close in the picture, as there is no close up shot, not that it was not there to be seen. 

Brian, 

As far as i can tell, there are no other Masayasu wartime smiths (other than his students) . I checked the gendai and showa databases, there are no other Masayasu smiths listed. .. Aspects of the mei are consistent with known examples... especially the "yasu". The 45* angle to the  Yasuri mie is consistent with Nakirishi Mei.. Soshin examples seem to always be horizontal and with the noted punch mark at the bottom of the nakago.  As I already have a Soshin example, im thinking it may be interesting to have one made by a student as well. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..