Kai Gunto - Just Sharing Excitement

Erwin

A lot of swords have suffered ‘cleaning’ from westerners who remove protective coatings in favor of shiny metal underneath. This is particularly prevalent in 98 and 95 where tsuba are polished to remove the brown glaze coating that was intended to protect the metal. This is stated in F&G and always stuck with me.

• Like 1

Hi Erwin,

not much information about this smith available (from Markus book):

SUKENORI (祐則), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Sukenori” (祐則), real name Nagata Eiichi (永田栄一), born August 28th 1910, he worked as guntō smith

Thank you Klaus, that was sort of the what I found as well and thank you for the efforts.

Best regards

Erwin

Dear all,

Thank you for the great discussion reading through all the responses. Interesting to see that a post without any intention triggers so many of you to write something which most of all shows your passion and knowledge. 

Appreciate all the thoughts and have a great day

Erwin

• 3 years later...

Hello, new guy here, don't know why it took so long to find this spot.  I usually depend on my mentor but interested in more opinions.

I just got another Kai-Gunto that made me question the Seppa on both sides of the Tshuba and O seppa, because the color on finished side,  was not "gold" as much as a pale almost mustard yellow color.  Same piece on my other good but not as good sword, looks like most worn gold plated brass fittings do.  Only thing I can attribute it to is not seeing light for a long time.  The rest of the sword checks out .. al s/n matching, good file marks, etc.  Will post more side by side comparison picture, see one on left.  Just wondering.

IMG_0471.JPG

Thanks, my gut said it's fine but just not a color I have seen.  The rest of the piece is about as good as you could hope for and all numbered in right places.  Look forward to more post and research on this site on some other blades that I just haven't had the time... looking forward to retirement to do important stuff.  Look forward to getting to know more of you.

• 7 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 12:15 AM, vajo said:

Erwin i had 2 Kai Gunto in my collection well signed Nakago and sold them further. I think that the saya of yours i sprayed black. I dont know what you have paid for the Kai Gunto but it is not worth to spend more money in that Sword. Belive me. Look for a mint Kai Gunto with a good looking same saya and fittings in better condition and a good blade. 

I sold mine very cheap and it takes one year to sell it.

post-3496-0-30569200-1505719193_thumb.jpg

Chris

I enjoyed reading this old thread from nearly 4 years ago (September 2017) concerning Type 97 Kai Guntos. A little amused by this particular post from four years ago because seems to highlight how times may have changed - appears that in 2021 these Kai Guntos are quite popular and that, in most cases, it would not take a year to sell one now. From what I have seen lately, Type 97's are very much in demand and they sell rather quickly. From what I have read, Type 95's have increased in popularity among collectors over the past decade or so (along with price appreciation) and it seems to me that these Type 97's may be undergoing a similar rise in popularity and price appreciation, including those with the rust-resistant (stainless steel) non-traditional blades. I'm a fan of the Type 97! Note: Collectibles, in general, have been rising in demand over the past year or so, and, like fine Art, I suppose Nihontos and Guntos are no exception.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

wow, can’t believe it is already 4 years ago. I agree with you, all types are getting more wanted but still have the Kai I showed in the pictures. ( and some new ones…) 

Hard to part from this and luckily there is need to do so. 
thanks for sharing, itvis a great idea to read back some old posts, need to do the same now.

best regards

Erwin

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..